Thursday 20 May 2010

Recipe Thursday - Vegetarian dish and Brown Sugar Fudge




I introduced you to this cookbook, Vegetariana by Nava Atlas,  two weeks ago when I tried some other recipes.  Since my son is home this week and he's a vegetarian, I thought I would attempt another.  Today for dinner whe had "Chick-Peas in Olive-Tahini Sauce".  I wasn't too sure my family would like it, so also had hubby bbq some salmon  fillets.  Turned out to be a good combination.

Chick-Peas in Olive-Tahini Sauce

Olive-Tahini Sauce

2 tbsp unbleached white flour
1 cup milk
1/4 cup liquid from canned black olives
1/3 cup sesame paste (tahini)
1 cup finely chopped black olives
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp dried thyme
freshly ground pepper to taste

Dissolve the flour in just enough water to make a smooth, flowing paste.  Set aside until needed.  Heath the milk and olive liquid slowly in a heavy saucepan.  When just under the boiling point, whisk in the tahini, a little at a time, then the flour paste.  Simmer over very low heat until the sauce is thick.  Stir in the olives, lemon juice, thyme, and pepper, and serve immediately. 

Chick-Peas in Olive-Tahini Sauce

2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 large celery stalks, chopped
1 medium sweet red or green pepper, finely chopped
1 recipe Olive-Tahini Sauce
3 heaping cups cooked or canned chick-peas
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari, optional
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp ground coriander
freshly ground pepper to taste.

Heat the oil in a large skillet.  When it is hot, add the garlic, onion, and celery and saute over moderately low heat until the onion is translucent.  Add the sweet pepper and saute until the vegetables are lightly browned.  Remove from the heat and pour the Olive-Tahini sauce into the skillet along with the remaining ingredients.  Return to low heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.  Serve on its own or over grains.

I made this as directed, though I didn't chop my red pepper as fine and when it was done I added a couple of dashes of hot pepper sauce.  I served it over a bed of brown rice.  I wanted couscous, but couldn't find any at the grocery store.  I used a can of pizza olives and the flavour was ok.  Next time I'll use more flavourful olives.


Since I missed my recipe last Thursday I promised that I would have two today.  Now on to dessert.

Brown Sugar Fudge

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup evaporated milk (not the sweetened stuff)
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

In a large, heavy saucepan combine the sugars, milk, and butter.  Cook, stirring occasionally to soft ball stage, 238 degrees Fahrenheit.  You need a candy thermometre unless you are like my mom and can judge with a cup of cold water.  Once it reaches this temperature, stir in the vanilla and let it cool to lukewarm, that would be below 150 degrees.

Beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture loses its gloss.  When you are getting near that stage, if you try to pour the fudge off the spoon, it will be much thicker and not really pour.  Now put it into a 9 inch square butter pan.  Be sure to prepare the pan ahead of time, otherwise the fudge will set in the pot before you get the buttering done.

We skipped the nuts due to son's dental surgery.  This turned out so well, that it will be a family favourite.  As I am typing this, there is less than a 1/3 of the fudge left.

Do you enjoy cooking, trying new recipes, or just plain reading about other people's food related experiences, then visit "Weekend Cooking" hosted by Beth Fish Reads.You are invited to add a link to your food related post.  When you visit the other bloggers who have joined in the fun, be sure to leave them a comment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You brought back memories here Heather. My Grandma made the best brown sugar fudge and yes, she just tested it in the cup of cold water. I never had the strength for the stirring, so my one and only attempt never set. lol I'm sure all that sugar did wonders for the son's teeth. he he
Stay inspired!
Michelle

Felicity Grace Terry said...

How nice to have some vegetarian recipes. I like chick peas but sadly (for my waistline) love fudge.

Roslyn said...

Makes me want to go bake something sweet!
I love vegetarian, I was one for years & still frequently make veg dishes.

JoAnn said...

I think I'll try the chick peas recipe... my daughter is eating less and less meat these days. The brown sugar fudge looks delicious - it's been ages since I've had that!

Anonymous said...

I love chick peas!! This recipe looks great.

Beth F said...

Both recipes look great and not difficult to make. There are several vegetarians in my extended family and the chick pea recipe looks like a great one.

And fudge? Yummmmmmy.

BTW: I love the cover that cookbook.

Sorry I was so late stopping by -- I was out of town last week.

Teddy Rose said...

Thanks for sharing a vegetarian recipe. I can make it vegan by using soy milk instead of cow's milk.