Tuesday 4 May 2010

Needlework Tuesday - Star Afghan Finished

I wasn't all that long ago that I began this project.  This first picture was taken when I had knit a handful of rows.  Nothing exciting at this point and not all that many stitches. 
The rows went quickly and the size grew.  It was still fairly small in this second photo, maybe 18 inches across.
I am thrilled that it is now finished.  I decided to add some tasels made from the fancy yarns, and to embroider some of the eyelash yarn at that first colour change.  The shift from the bright pink to the mauve was just to jarring on the eye.

The third picture shows it spread out on a queen size bed.  The edges curl up a bit, but I will try and see if I can steam them into proper behavior.  Next picture is a close up and the lighting shows some of the wonderful yarn textures.
You didn't really think that I would stop here did you.  I had to start a new project for those moments when my fingers want to do something other than type blog posts.  No hints about what I am making, just a small photo.

I did get to my sewing machine this week and am working again on the "Wild Blue Yonder" blocks.  Four rows are now sewn together; one more to go then I can add the borders.  Yippee.

My mom was here on the weekend, rather, I drove to London to pick up my son and also got my mother as a wonderful bonus.  We attended the Quilting show that was held at Bingeman Park on saturday.  I bought some terrific (or some might say, terrifying) orange fabric to make myself a big tote bag.  Don't have a pattern, but I have an image in my mind of what I want to do.  I set myself a target of finishing it before the end of May.


Visit Lit and Laundry for their "Finished for Friday" meme.  If you have finished a project that you want to share with the world, add  your link.  Be sure to visit the other sites that have posted their "finishes".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Heather!!
Stay inspired!
Michelle

Miri said...

This is gorgeous! I love the texture as well as the colors!

Stone Meadow One said...

Wow! That looks really cool! I didn't know it would be that big! It looks amazing :)

Marie said...

Very nice Heather. I love all of the colours and textures.

Shelley said...

Oh Heather! It's beautiful and I am so impressed that you would do such a project because to me it would be overwhelming! Congrats on getting it done!

Roslyn said...

I love it, It looks like a starfish! I bought needles & yarn to knit some sox!

Threeundertwo said...

Wow! It's just beautiful! I've never seen an afghan shaped like that. Love the colors. Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I've never seen an afghan shaped like that. I love the colors you used.