Tuesday 11 May 2010

Cut by Patricia McCormick

Callie has been cutting herself.  She knows of no other way to express the anguish/doubt/pain she is feeling.  Her parents have sent her to Sea Pines, and adolescent mental health care faciltiy. It's up to Callie to accept the help that is being offered there by both the staff and the other young people.

I listened to this audio book twice.  The first time I was crying so much that I felt I had missed too much of the story.  Why did this hit me so hard.  I think it's the helplessness that a parent feels when his or her child is hurting.  You trust that the doctors and nurses can fix them up.  But mental health issues aren't resolved with a simple medication, they often are lifelong and need constant vigilance.  It's a work in progress.

Tears aside, I thought this was a well written and researched book.  An excellent read for teens to make them aware of issues that they or their friends might be dealing with.  As a parent, when you find these books in your child's knapsack, give them and read and ask if your child wants to talk. 

You might want to read my earlier reviews that deal with various mental health issues:
Lullabies for Little Criminal by Heather O'Neill
Total Constant Order by Crissa-Jean Chappell
Don't Look Down by David Laing Dawson


Cover photo is from the author's website.
Read by Clea Lewis.

Do you know someone who needs help because they are cutting themself, check the SAFE Alternatives website.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

Mental health issues need more attention drawn to them. Any book that accomplishes that and gets people talking is well worth the read. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

Have you read Tomato Girl? Not to be missed by anyone with an interest in mental health fiction!