Thursday 6 May 2010

Recipe Thursday - Pasta with Cauliflower, Currants and Nuts

Vegetariana by Nava Atlas is one of those cookbooks that I come back to year after year when I am looking for something different to make.  I bought this book through a bookclub in the early 1990's, and while its not the most used in my collection, it is definitely the most imaginative.  This book appears to be out of print, but the author has several newer vegetarian cookbooks available.
The three of us enjoyed this meal.  I didn't use all of the head of cauliflower as I thought it was a bit big.  I used walnuts which managed to maintain their "snap" even when reheated the next day for lunch.
I also used light ricotta and milk, not cream.


"Pasta with Cauliflower, Currants and Nuts"

1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup milk or light cream
pinch of nutmeg

1/2 pound (225g) medium-zided shaped pasta, I used Fusilli
3 tbsp olive oil (divided)
1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces and florets
1 egg, beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup toasted pinenuts, or 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup currants (raisins may be substituted)
2 tbsp butter
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and set aside.

Begin cooking the pasta at this point.  When it is done, drain it and transfer to a covered casserole dish.

Heat 2 tablsepoons of the olive oil in a large skillet.  When it is hot, stir-fry the cauliflower pieces over the moderate heat until they are tender-crisp.  Beat the egg in a bowl large enough to accommodate the caulifower, then transfer it in and mix until the pieces are evenly coated with the egg.

In the same skillet, heat the remaining olive oil and saute the garlic over moderately low heat until it is golden.  Add the cauliflower and saute, stirring continuously, until the egg is set.  Add the nuts, currants, butter, salt and pepper, and ricotta mixture and simmer just until thoroughly heated through.  Pour over the pasta and toss well.

Serves 6.

For more food related posts, visit Beth Fish Reads for her "Weekend Cooking" meme.  Join in the fun and add a link to your recipe, book or movie review or other food based post.

7 comments:

Marie said...

This look delicious. We love cauliflower! I'm going to put these ingredients on my shopping list and hopefully make it next week.

Thanks for sharing.

Stone Meadow One said...

That looks yummy! I love cauliflower, maybe I'll try this recipe!

Beth F said...

I too am in the cauliflower fan club! I too would make a lower-fat version. Yummm.

caite said...

I too love cauliflower and this looks like a great recipe.

Margot said...

Very interesting dish and cookbook. You're right - it is creative. I have never put nuts and cauliflower together but, when I think it through, it sounds delicious.

Melissa said...

This sounds really good! Adding it to my to-try files now ....

Michele said...

I'm going to print this one out....we always end up with way too much cauliflower in the garden by season's end, lol. Pasta is a big staple around here, so I love this idea.