Thursday 24 April 2014

Tangled Thursday - Mookas are Sprouting All Over

 

If there is one tangle that doesn't speak to me, it's Mooka.  I have used it several times in drawings, but to me, it doesn't seem to play well with others.  A quick online search shows that many others don't have this same issue, it's just me.  All the more reason for me to keep playing with it.  In this first drawing, I have paired it with Knightsbridge.  I feel the background does a reasonable job of isolating the fronds of the Mooka.  drawn on a standard size square of 3 1/2 inches
Welcome to Tangled Thursday.  A few of my local and online friends have joined me in an occasional Zentangle challenge.  We'll take turns choosing a theme  and them post our drawings in about 2 weeks time.  All are welcome to join in the fun.  If you are new to Zentangles, then visit the website for a complete explanation and all sorts of online resources.  I'm also a big fan of TanglePatterns.com.


This little bookmark is just mooka and measures about 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches.
To start this drawing, I lightly drew a cross from mid-side to mid side in both directions.  Then I turned the tile on point and drew a mooka in each quadrant. Finally, I filled in the side gaps with smaller mooka.  If I had drawn a stem at the bottom, it would have reminded me more of a shamrock.

When Elaine issued this challenge, it was after seeing that some of her plants were starting to sprout.  I took that as my inspiration to see if I could make my mooka sprout.  Add a few flower pots and some additional 'bedding' plants and I have my own little garden.  Bricks, Square in square and Yincut were used for the pots.  The lobes of the mooka on the far right have me thinking of bunny ears.  hmm, should have used mooka in my Easter drawings a few weeks ago.

All visitors are encouraged to pick up a fine marker and give any of the tangles a try.  Remember, they are made up of lines and we can all draw lines.  Don't consider the entire finished project, start with just one pen stroke, then add another, and another, before you know it, you will have created your first drawing.

Mr. Linky is waiting below.  Add your link and then leave a comment, I look forward to visiting with you.



1 comment:

Marie said...

I love these, Heather, especially the four quadrant one as well as the sprouting mookas. ;)

I have mixed feelings about Mooka, also, even though I played around with a lot these last two weeks. I still don't feel like I have a good grasp of it. I think I'm going to work on it some more and see if I can incorporate it with other patterns.

Thanks a lot for adding my link and thanks for hosting. I'll send out an email in a day or two about the next challenge. I'll probably do a post also for anyone who's lurking out there. :)

Have a great week.