Tuesday 16 February 2016

Needlework Tuesday - Knitting Socks is Fiddly

 The extreme cold weather that we experienced in the past week has kept me inside more than usual.  That translated into lots of stitching time.

First I needed to get caught up on the block of the month project from my local quilt guild.  I added the white and lavender checker board pattern and then I added the modified log cabin blocks.

I didn't exactly follow the instructions, though I did keep true to the designer's vision.  More instructions are coming next week.  I'll thinking that I need to add more yellow to keep the balance.  At present, it measures approximately 29 x 34 inches.
 I finally cast on the socks and started stitching right away.  I am using 2.75 mm needles.The yarn is Mary Maxim Sweet Feet in colour 616 Lime.  The double wrapping for the smocking stitch is a bit tedious, but I am using the darning needle as suggested in the video by Lucy Neatby in the video that accompanies this Craftsy class.

I am ready to start the heel flaps.
close up to show the double wrap smocking stitch

I've have started the second half of my scarf.  Ia m using a pattern by designer Natalie Servant. It has an interesting chevron motif at each end.
the reverse sides of the pattern looks very interesting .
This scarf if working up nicely and should be finished in another two weeks, just in time for more warm weather.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post. 


3 comments:

Kate said...

I have pretty much given up on those socks. I just found the pattern too tedious. I think the yarn really wants to be something else.
I admire you for sticking to it. I am sure they will be very pretty socks when you are done.
I like your block, it looks very spring like.

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Your quilt is awesome. Love all the different colors
you used. Love the yarn color for your socks. Have
great day!

Marie said...

Great work, Heather. The quilt block is lovely and spring-like!

The socks and scarf are really nice, too. Love the smocking on the socks, but I can imagine it would be tedious.

I didn't have a great needling week, so I didn't do a post. Things got done, but my attitude/mood was bad. :( It's so nice to see what others have done, though. :)

Have a great week.