Thursday 17 January 2008

I'm Back

I've been away for the past week and a half, but am trying to get back up to speed. I did a bunch of reading while away, 6 books in fact. 3 of them are worth noting.

Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan. The majority of this book is set in Myanmar, formally known as Burma. The story follows a group of tourists who disappear on Christmas Day while on a side trip. I was totally captivated as I followed the group and learned more about each member. The narrator is the ghost of the woman who was supposed to lead the tour, but she died mysteriously a few weeks prior to departure. The descriptions of the countryside are wonderful. Being a Geography major at University, I love a book that has a geographical bent to accompany a terrific story.

The Rainmaker by John Grisham. OK, I know that this book has been around for over a decade, but that does not stop it from being a gripping read. Its the story of a brand new lawyer who takes on a major insurance company who appears to deny all medical claims regardless of their merit. I do think that I must have seen this as a movie???

and finally

Breach of Promise by Perri O'Shaughness
This is a female lawyer who is representing a potentially very wealthy female client, who received nothing from her common law spouse when he left. Seems California doesn't recognize common law marriages and doesn't allow for equal division of property (at the time of the writing of the book, don't know if that has changed). A fairly quick read for a long book.

The Amy Tan book has been returned to the library, but the other two I registered with Bookcrossing and have now released to roam in the wild.

No comments: