Wednesday 25 March 2009

Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster


This book was suggested to me via a comment several weeks ago. I looked it up and it sounded kinda interesting, requested it from my library and dug in.
-
I was a bit apprehensive, remembering my experience with "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella but was chuckling with the details of Jen's interview for the temp job in Chapter 1. I read on for another 80 pages. She definitely has some interesting insights into her own life but it just wasn't clicking for me. I was just going through the motions of reading.
-
Nothing wrong with the book, a good writing style, interesting mix between story telling and the text of various emails, and the story lines move along quickly. Lots of humour, it will keep you laughing all the way. My daughter would probably love it , she loved the movie of 'The Shopaholic'. She tells me I have no sense of humor as if that explains everything.
-
You can visit Jen's website and learn about her other books.

2 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

What a coincidence--I just finished Such a Pretty Fat on Sunday.

I read about Jen's books on a blog (I was thinking it was yours) and went right out and ordered a couple of her books from my library.

The first one I got was Bitter is the New Black. I felt just like you about that one. I couldn't quite get into it, so I never finished it.

I enjoyed this last one enough to finish it, but I am not going to get the current book. Time to move on to something else. I already have Lottery, by Patricia Wood to start this weekend. Did you write about that one, too? I read a review someplace, but forgot where.

I do love to read book reviews.

Heather said...

I don't think I have read anything by Patricia Wood. Will have to look her up.