Tuesday 10 March 2009

Needlework Tuesday

It was another good week in the Needlework department. I finished my hand pieced basket block. This is the first one, I plan to do a few more. The blocks are being donated back to the Guild and next year they will be pieced into a quilt which will be donated as our community project. The block is done in cottons and measures 8inches edge to edge and approximately 11 1/2 inches on the diagonal.

The Dutch 9 patch blocks of last week have been put away and I have moved on to another quilt. It's paper pieced birds. I don't have a block to show you at this time, but by next week I will. Come back at that time and hear the story of the quilt and why I am working on it.

I did find some time to work on the nautical quilt (still need a name for it). Below is shown the block 'Time and Tides'. It was hand pieced to ensure that I has nice 'points'. The colouring in the photo isn't quite right, but the quilting lines show up well. I have been quilting this block 1/4 inch away from the seam lines.

There was a little wrinkling in this block, but the quilting it seems to have taken up the slack.

While stitching I have been listening to the audio book "The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas.

3 comments:

Marie said...

Very nice! I've quilted a little, but I guess I don't pay enough attention because when I'm done nothing lines up. I still like the quilts, though and they serve their purpose.

I usually end up tying the quilt rather than quilting it because I can't imagine spending all that time on something where the seams and points are crooked.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying reading your posts about quilting...and books!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all the nice books on quilting.

Heather said...

I'm finding that I am getting more accomplished since I started the Tuesday Needlework feature. This way I have to ensure that I have done something in the preceeding week so I can tell my readers about it.

the comments I receive are the most wonderful encouragement.