Tuesday 6 December 2016

Needlework Tuesday - An Advent Calendar for my Godson

 Advent, or count down, calendars were present every December 1 in my house growing up.  I kept up the tradition with my children.  This year I decided to send one to my godson for his daughters.  Sure, the youngest is too small to understand, though I'm sure her big sister will explain it to her.

I found this colourful panel titled "Dear Santa" by Sarah Frederking from Studio E Fabrics.
 My local shop had kits cut and ready to go.  Instead of following the instructions to cut apart all the pockets, I left them intact, layers them right sides together with backing fabric and sewed around three sides, leaving the bottoms open for turning.  I sewed 1/4 inch seams, then cut them apart and sewed more seams until they were all done. It would have been better for the turning, if I had pivoted at each corner instead of sewing straight across.  Oh well, live and learn.
 Twenty-five pockets ready to go.
 I drew a line 1/4 inch away from the bottom of the pocket and lined that up with the bottom of the image on the panel piece, then sewed a seam across, back stitching at the beginning and end.
 All twenty-five pocket flaps attached and ready for the flip up.  I decided to change the thread colours to match the pockets.  A bit more work that using one colour such as beige, but it made more sense to me.  Less change of seeming an mis-placed stitches.
Finally, I added binding and a hanging sleeve and it's ready to go in the mail for my nephew.  It's a wee bit late, but I'm sure they'll forgive me.

For more images of Advent Calendars, visit my post from 2014, The Great Advent Calendar Hunt.

Sorry to have missed you all last week.  My work schedule has gotten more hectic as we move closer to December 25.  I was so exhausted last week that Tuesday slipped right on past me.  Feel free to add links for any needlework posts that you've made in the past two weeks.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you. I hope that you are having fun and making progress on whatever project is dear to your heart at this moment. 

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your needlework post.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Great advent calendar, Heather. I'm sure your godson's daughters will love it.

Ahhh....the joys of working retail with the holidays approaching. I can't say I've had the pleasure. Hopefully, the next couple of weeks will go by in the blink of an eye.

Have a good week.

Kate said...

Good job on that Advent calendar. I got a tea Advent calendar, this year.