Thursday 21 May 2009

Heart Fabric Challenge

The other day I told you that I had selected the "Secret Garden" block to make up my piece of Challenge fabric. Yippee, its finished. I used a technique described by Cynthia England in the Mar/Apr 2004 issue of 'Quilts with Style'. She calls it 'picture piecing'. You can visit her website and learn all about Cynthia England's Picture Piecing.

First step is to trace out your pattern onto freezer paper. I needed 8 of each pattern piece. I traced once, stapled 8 sheets of freezer paper together and cut along the lines and then lettered each piece.

Next iron the freezer paper to the right side of your chosen fabrics as shown in the first photo. I cut accurate 1/4 inch seam allowances, though this is not required.


Next I started to sew the pieces together. The second photo shows the A and B section sewn together.

The third photo shows the ABC unit and the CrD unit.


Fourth photo shows the first of the 8 sub units, and then 2 of those units sewn together.



The fifth photo shows all 8 sub units sewn together. I have removed a few of the pattern pieces. It was easier to remove them if I pressed them lightly with the iron first.




The finished block. It measures 12 1/2 inches and lies fairly flat. Nothing that some quilting won't take care of. If I did it again, I would not put the blue in the corners, I would continue with the snowflake fabric.




2 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Wow, Heather, that looks great! I like the blue corners. They tie in the blue in the heart fabric.

Heather said...

I decided to make the corners blue as several of the other ladies have put lots of blue in their blocks and I figure it will help the winner when she puts all the blocks together.