Sunday 4 July 2010

Recipe Thursday oh so many days late - Blueberry Scones

Last week there was a great sale on blueberries.  Everything I made had them scattered on top or mixed right in.  We were almost getting sick of them, almost.  I realized that I hadn't made scones in years, and with everything on hand they were begging to be baked.  The recipe is from an ancient copy of Five Roses Flour Cookbook.  There is not printed variation using blueberries, so I had to wing it.

Blueberry Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 eggs
1/2 milk or light cream (I used milk)

1 cup blueberries
grate rind of a lemon

Preheat overn to 450 F.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon rind and salt.  Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture is the consistency of coarse cornmeal.  Set aside.  Reserve a little of the egg whites,   beat  remaining eggs until light; stir in milk.  Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add liquid all at once, stirring with a fork vigorously until it comes freely from the side of the bowl. Gently stir in blueberries.  Pat dough into a circle 3/4 inch thick  on an ungreased baking pan.  Cut into 8 triangular wedges, but leave in place.  Brush top with egg white and sprinkle liberally with sugar.  

Bake in hot oven for 12 to 15 minutes.

Let cool a bit and eat while warm.  Wonderful spread with butter. 


Join Candace at Beth Fish Reads for her "Weekend Cooking" meme.  Readers are invited to share their food related posts.

8 comments:

Beth F said...

Oh yeah! Those scones, oozing with blueberries, look marvelous. I love the hint of lemon.

Blueberries are just coming into season at the farmers market. Can't wait for next week.

Marie said...

I love scones! These look delicious. I'll have to give them a try.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm making me hungry!

Stay inspired!
Michelle

bermudaonion said...

Those look delicious! The blueberries wouldn't last long enough to make it into scones in my house though!

Amy said...

Those look incredible! I must try to make them sometime...

Felicity Grace Terry said...

There is only one comment I could make - yummmmmyyyyy.

JoAnn said...

I've been thinking about scones ever since I saw this post last weekend. Finally made them this morning. They were delicious! I included your recipe in my weekend cooking post today.
http://lakesidekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/07/weekend-cooking-heathers-blueberry.html

Judy said...

Oh yum - those look delicious!