Saturday 17 July 2010

Maple Sugar Crystals


I don't know about you, but at our house real maple syrup is the rule rather than the exception.  We reached the bottom of the tin today.  I knew it wasn't really empty and when I looked inside I could see crystals.  We had maple sugar hiding in there.  I took the bottom off the time and had to break out the sugar crystals.  They were huge.  It was amazingly hard to get a photo of them.  All the surfaces of the crystal drove my camera crazy, it didn't know where to focus.

To learn more about maple syrup and how it is produced, visit the site for the Elmira Maple Syrup Festival

4 comments:

Anya said...

Maple syrup is king in our house as well. Lots of people in our area make it every spring.

Dorte H said...

Maple syrup - no, I am afraid I have only read about it in The Little House on the Prairie. I would love to taste it though (e.g. with pancakes).

Miri said...

Mmmm! Now that is good rock candy!

We also use real maple syrup...it costs $12.00 for 8 oz. here but its sooo good.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Not commonly eaten here in England (and certainly not real maple syrup, it generally comes out of a bottle) I have only tried this once and thought it was overly sweet but at the same time quite tasteless - quite unlike the real stuff I'm sure.