Tuesday 9 October 2007

The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron


This was a beautiful story. I am so happy that I read it. (I'm typing this as I wipe the tears from my eyes).
Lucky is a 10 year old girl who's mother died 2 years earlier and is now living with her Guardian (which happens to be her father's first wife). Lucky has been listening in on a variety of '12 Step' meetings and she is trying to find her 'Higher Power'.
Lucky hits 'Rock Bottom' when she thinks her Guardian is leaving her. She then gains inner strength as she finds her 'Higher Power' and also helps her small friend Miles deal with a problem he is having.
I would gladly recommend this book to others, even though some people have strongly and vocally objected to the mention of a dog's scrotum in the first chapters. See my blog entry of September 20.
I will be lending this to the librarian at my daughter's school, and hopefully she will buy a copy for the kids to read.

No comments: