Tuesday 16 October 2007

Oktoberfest 5k Race


Thats me in the bright orange shirt just crossing the finish line. My best time ever 37:31. If you could see my face, you would see the excitement of beating my anticipated time by 1 1/2 minutes. I am still thrilled.
This is the first time I have approached a 5k with the outlook of it being a 'race' as opposed to a fun run. This time I had a strategy beyond 'just finishing'. Of course I trained, but I also determined a reasonable target time. Then I went to the Running Room website and created a 'paceband' so I would know at what time I should be at each kilometre marker. I wrote this on a strip of tyvek and taped it around my wrist beside my watch. Wow, it made all the difference. I had a clear objective and was darned if a piece of paper was going to beat me. yippee, I beat that paper and by a wide margin. yippee again.


Click here to visit the Running Room website.
Click here to check the Running Series in my neck of the woods.

No comments: