Monday 1 October 2007

Sunrise on Kusatsu Harbor by Dan Maloney

I received this book in the mail last week, and shoved aside a few others so that I could get at it right away. After reading a few pages, I knew that this was not the book to finish in one reading. Its not that its long, 137 pages, but it is a story that I wanted to savour and enjoy. There is a lot packed into the few pages and I didn't want to miss any of it.

Its the story of Tori and Mieko and it starts in the days prior to the dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. While both our characters are profoundly affected by its outcome, its their responses that differ. Tori is filled with forgiveness and understanding and draws on her Christian faith to continue, while Mieko wants revenge.

The book follows the story of their lives for decades, until the day when Mieko is finally ready to enact his revenge.

Faith is a recurring strength in this book, it helps to heal the hurts that have occurred, both the physical and metal, but it also helps deal with the prejudices and mistrust.

I really enjoyed this story and appreciated its straight forward story telling style. I look forward to sharing it with my family, friends and my Bookcrossing friends.

No comments: