Tuesday 17 June 2008

Predictably Irrational : The Hidden Forces That Shape our Decisions by Dan Ariely

I found this book to be fascinating. Even though this is a scholarly work, it is very readable and easily understood. The finding of Mr. Ariely and his associates are well illustrated by an assortment of simple experiments that were conducted at several well respected Universities.

Before I started reading, I felt that I made quite rational decisions and that I was not unduly swayed by advertising and other outside influences. I now suspect that this might not be true. I was surprised to find how much we are all influenced by our surrounding and those around us.

Whether it affects our decision of how long a magazine subscription to select, whether I need a medication or will a placebo suffice, is a free item really free, or even if we have ordered what we truly desire in a restaurant or did we make our choice so it will be different that everyone else at the table.

I was further surprised to find that even our level of honesty can be influenced by a variety of circumstances.

Mr. Ariely does not leave us without hope. He does assure the reader that he can make rational decisions.

I would highly recommend this book to any who are a student of understanding human nature. Now I am wondering how I can use my new found knowledge to get my children to do what I want them to do without them realizing how much I have influenced their decision.

Thanks to HarperCollins for the cover picture.

1 comment:

lisa. said...

Hey,

In response to your comment a few days ago on my blog, thankyou very much, I am sure I have heard of this book title before, and I will try to get my hands on it. Thankyou for showing an interest - I admire that.

And I'd just like to say, in general, thankyou. For keeping my blog going, encouraging me, and letting me know your opinion. I think you are the only person who reads my blog, so it means the world to me.

Thankyou.

TG x