Monday 21 July 2008

The Letter Opener by Kyo Maclear


Much of this novel is set in the 'Undeliverable Mail Office' of Canada Post in the Toronto, Ontario area. Naiko has become friends with Andrei, an immigrant from Romania, who sits at the next work station.

A few months prior to the fall of the Romanian government, Andrei disappears.

Throughout the course of the book we are teased with tidbits about both Naiko's and Andrei's lives. I found myself identifying with her. She is a regular person with a typical life. She works, she goes home, visits her mother etc. When her friend is missing she has to come to an understanding of why. Much as she would investigate a lost piece of mail, she reviews and researches Andrei's life.

Even when I re-read this book, I was still saddened as Naiko comes to accept that Andrei hadn't told her all his secrets and that he was gone for good.

If you have ever lost a friend you will find this story pulling at your heart strings. I would highly recommend this novel as a 'Book Club' read.

I hope to see further novels by Kyo Maclear in the near future.

This book is a nominee for the 2008 Evergreen Awards.

Thanks to HarperCollins for the cover photo.

Also reviewed at:
Perogies & Gyoza

2 comments:

Perogyo said...

Thanks for your review- and your comment on my review.

I think you are right, this would be great for a book club. I have so many ideas flowing around in my head about this book and because of this book, but wine, chocolate cake, and some friends would make it easier to put them together!

Perogyo said...

Oh, I was also going to say that she has a new adult book coming out this summer. Her new children's book comes out tomorrow (it's a Kyo Maclear fest on my blog this week!)

Jen