Tuesday 28 April 2009

Needlework Tuesday

It was a good week in the stitching department. Along with the time spent viewing the lovely quilts on Amy's 'Online Quilt Festival' I had some progress on my projects.

The first pic shows the block that I made for last evening for the meeting of my local guild. It's called 'Courthouse Steps'. The centre is a 3 1/2 inch square and the logs were cut 2 inches wide. the finished block is 12 inches.

There were 5 blocks submitted for the lottery. My name was drawn, but since I won last month, I asked them to draw again and let another win.





Work on the bird quilt is coming along. I stuck my hand in the bag and pulled out the Pheasant block. It was mostly pieced, so I did the final seam joining the tail section to the bird. It still needed feet. Those are made from ultra suede. I tried a few methods of transferring the cutting lines to the suede. scribbling chalk on the underneath of the pattern and then tracing the lines left a big mess. Finally I made another copy of the pattern, pinned it to the top of the suede and using contrast thread I sewed along the outside edge of the lines. Then I cut along the stitching, removed the extra threads, and voila, really neat feet. I even put the eye on the bird. In fact I got so carried away that all three blocks I've done now have eyes. yippee.

5 additional blocks were submitted by members of my local guild (these are from the hand-piecing class that we held in February). There are a few more coming, so looks like we'll have about 20 of them for our community project next year.
Come back next week to see which bird block I'm working on.



3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Your quilt blocks are beautiful!! I love your bird block, that is so cute! The book you told me about sounds intriguing. I'll have to check it out and see if my library has it. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great evening!

Sherrie

Lisa @celebrate CREATIVITY said...

These blocks are awesome. I love to see new blocks that I've never tried before. Gets me inspired to tackle a new quilt project-lol.

Heather said...

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the blocks. I am having fun posting the pics and telling the stories behind them. I do try and not start too many new projects as I have so many unfinished ones, and then last night I promised a friend that I would help her piece a quilt. (her sister-in-law to quilt it). What's one more project added to the list of many.