Thursday 17 December 2009

Recipe Thursday - Rhubarb Apple Crisp

There are days when comfort food is required, and I had one of those days recently. Fortunately I had some rhubarb in my freezer and a bag of slightly old apples in the fridge.

Anne Lindsay's 'Lighthearted Everyday Cooking' has been one of my favourite cookbooks for years. I can't recall if I bought it or if my mother gave it to me after my dad had his heart attack and she had to change her cooking style. Either way, its been a great addition to my kitchen.

You can play with the choice of fruits in this dessert. I think it tasted even better the next day when I had it for breakfast. The tartness of the rhubarb had mingled better with the sweetness of the apples.





Rhubarb Apple Crisp
Filling:
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
3 cups sliced apples
.
Topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup rolled oats
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons soft margarine or butter melted
.
Filling: In bowl, combine sugar, flour and lemon rind; mix well.
Add rhubarb and apple; stir to mix. Spoon into an 8 cup/2L baking dish.
.
Topping: In bowl, combine sugar, rolled oats, flour and cinnamon. Add melted margarine/butter and stir to mix; sprinkle over filling.
Bake in 375F over for 40 to 50 minutes, until filling is bubbly and topping is brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
.
I found out something interesting this week. Oatmeal is being touted as a wonder food for all sorts of ailments. I had been eating it all last week for breakfast. My feet had been hurting and I was very concerned that I might be getting another gout attack. Reading on the Yahoo Gout group I belong to, I found that oats are bad for gout prone people. oh dart, will have to limit it to the occasional treat and not have it every morning. I stopped eating it and within a few days my feet were improving.
.
Do you like fruitcake? I have always loved it in all its wonderful variations. Karen over at 'Quilts ect...' has posted about her cake baking experience this week.
.
For an easy Rice and Lentil Dish, visit Darilyn over at 'Tropical Screamer' where its much warmer than the -10C we are experiencing today.
.
Finally, instead of cooking, Anya at 'Hills Creek Quilter' recommends the movie 'Julie and Julia'

7 comments:

Hunter said...

Yum my mouth is watering.

I eat oats all the time during winter. I have never heard this warning before about gout.

Bummer. I'll let my friend know, although she may be on the group already.

Isn't it amazing how something good for one thing is bad for another?

I hope you're having a great day.

Darilyn

B.Kienapple said...

Rhubarb is always so delicious!! I'll have to make this.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Wonderful recipe - I love rhubarb and apples. I had not heard about the gout and oats. I wonder if there are foods I should not eat that causes fibromyalgia to be worse?
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Even though it doesn't contain chocolate, this pudding is a favourite of mine. One of the few dishes even I can make, I always double up on the topping so it's really thick and crunchy - yum.

Beth F said...

This sounds heavenly and easy. I bet the house smelled terrific.

I have Julie and Julia coming from NetFlix next week. I can't wait to see it.

caite said...

I love crisps and crumbles, especially this time of year.

And I also happen to love fruitcake. I have a large one, an Irish Christmas cake, maturing now for Christmas day, so i will have to go check out that blog too.

Carole said...

Heather - thanks for linking in with Food on friday. Cheers