Thursday 3 December 2009

Recipe Thursday

When Darilyn over at 'Tropical Screamer' said she was going to do something with recipes on Thursdays, I thought I would join in. I didn't get any cooking done this week, but I did pull out my usual assortment of holiday cookbooks.
.
Today's selection I tend to use only at Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving. My family now expects that I make certain dishes.

'The Canadian Living Christmas Book' has been one of my faves since its publication in 1993. It is filled with wonderful food as well as lovely scenic, snow filled photos.

Recipes cover every aspect of Holiday feeding: fruit cakes, cookies and candies, gifts from the kitchen, casual dining, entertaining and the main feast. My favourite recipes include Sweet Potato and Carrot Crisp and Make-ahead Mashed Potato Casserole. Unfortunately this book is no longer available for purchase, though you might find it at a used book store. You can find new Christmas books by Canadian Living on the Chapters.ca website.

I absolutely love the cover of the 'Canadian Living Family Cookbook'. One day when shopping I saw that dress that the little girl is wearing and the price was terrific. I bought it even though I didn't have a girl. I believe it was by Canadian Designer Simon Chang but don't quote me on it. Yes, my daughter did eventually wear the dress but it was in her closet for many years.


Update: December 4 2009 - I think that I was mistaken and the dress was made by Alfred Sung as possibly a Flower Girl Dress.

The book is filled with more gorgeous photos and recipes for family celebrations through out the year as well as decorating hints and such. I don't have a specific recipe I use from this book, but I do get it out every so often to enjoy the cover picture.




My aunt gave me the 'Crisco Cookies for a Year of Celebrations' a few years ago. I have no idea if I have ever used it, but that's not the point. When I was young and my aunt didn't have kids, I used to go to her house and bake cookies with her. She loved to bake and always thought it was more fun with kids around. She now had two kids and six grandchildren and she still loved to make cookies and her family famous cheesecake. If you would like to try some of the luscious looking recipes from Crisco, please visit their website.




In 1996 I purchased this lovely story and recipe book from my local Hallmark store. The first half of the book is the story of two young girls who seek to replicate the Christmas that their mother used to make. Mother is sick in the hospital and Dad isn't up to the traditions. The second half of the book contains all the recipes that are referred to in the story. It is a lovely book.





This is my latest addition to the collection. 'Company's Coming Holiday Entertaining'. This one is from the 17th printing in 2004, so it's a popular one. It is currently not available, though there are several other Christmas Cookbooks available from Company's Coming at this time. There is also a section of their website where you can print recipes to try before buying. I don't have a favourite from this book, but every time I open it, I am surprised by the pink pages. This is not specifically a Christmas Cookbook, rather holidays in general.
.

It has the full range of ideas from a Breakfast Pizza accompanied by Cafe au Lait, to a full Halloween feast with Witches Brew, Bat Wings, Scarecrows on Sticks, Tiny Cauldrons etc.

I hope that you have enjoyed visiting my Christmas Cookbook Shelf.
.

Next week I am looking forward to sharing waffles with you, and believe me they are much better than those ones you buy in the freezer section of your grocery store.
.

Be sure to visit Darilyn over at Tropical Screamer for her Chicken Curry with Jasmine Rice recipe.

1 comment:

B.Kienapple said...

The Canadian Living Christmas book is a standard in our house. We always make the brussel sprout and cheese casserole!!