Tuesday 15 December 2015

Needlework Tuesday - When a Postage Stamp Quilt is Too Fiddley

One thing I love about Needlework Tuesday, is visiting with my online friends.  Not only do I get the opportunity to further our friendships, I get to see what you are up to.   This is exactly what we would be doing if we were local friends.  We'd get together for a visit, bring our current projects, and sit and stitch and chat.  Since I don't have an unlimited budget, a virtual sharing will have to suffice.

A few weeks ago when I was visiting with Karen, at Quilts....etc., I spied the postage stamp quilt that she is working on.  For those who don't know, a postage stamp quilt is made with 1 1/2 inch squares of fabric.  In the finished quilt, they will measure about 1 inch, which is the traditional size of a postage stamp.  I love the look of that quilt.  I asked her about it, and she said that she was inspired by a quilt she'd seen else where.  As no pattern was available, she made her own.  I've followed suit and adapted the design to my supplies on hand, namely a big box of 2 inch square.

I decided to go with four pieced rows, while Karen has five.  Follow this link to view Karen's quilt in progress.  I have completed one block as a test. I liked it and started to piece the strips for additional blocks.
So far I have about thirty strips pieced and pressed.  I have lots more squares ready to go.  I am working them in bit by bit as I stitch on other projects.  I don't know how large this quilt will get, depends when I either run out of squares, or I get bored with it.

I have been inspired by many of my online friends.  After seeing the progress Sherrie at Food for Thought was making on her back log of quilt tops, I purchased the batting I needed and pre-washed it.  I still don't have the quilted layered up, but I am getting closer.  Thanks Sherrie.

Regardless of your preferred craft and types of projects, I enjoy visiting with all of you.  I find that seeing your finished projects inspires me to work toward finishing some of my own. oh do I need to finish a few more.  Thanks for the inspiration and the little nudges that I feel coming my way.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework project.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I love, love, love postage stamp quilts and have always wanted to make one. I visit Karen's blog often and I, too, am inspired by her work.

As I've said before, your work inspires me, too. This online sharing is great, but I often wish that I lived closer to you so that we could share our projects in person.

Have a great week!

Thanks for the ravelry links to the dishcloths. I've bookmarked them for future reference. ;)

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love the Postage Stamp Quilt. Haven't made
one of those, but have always wanted to. Maybe
next year. Got another quilt done. Have a great day!