Tuesday 19 April 2016

Needlework Tuesday - Finished my wool scarf in time for the heat

 We've been having wonderful late spring weather for the past week.  The temperatures were over 23C on Saturday yet here I am sharing with you my wool scarf that I have finally finished.  Guess I'll be putting it away for a couple of months till it's needed.  That will give me time to make a co-ordinating hat.    The pattern is called Fast Forward by designer Natalie Servant.

 Add another round of borders to my guild block of the month.  I think it looks like film strip, so I used different floral fabrics for the frames. This corner is the only one that matched up perfectly.
 Good progress was made on this quilt.  I have nine of the thirty blocks completed.  It will be a while before you see it again. I don't have a pattern. the little squares are 2 inches and the white strips are 2 x 14 inches.
 One final quilting project this week.  It looks like  a real mess, but really, it's a long long strip 2 1/2 inches wide. Next is pressing and then cutting to 12 1/2 inch sections.  I plan to have photos of the block for you next week.
 With the scarf finished, I needed a new knitting project.  The little shawlette is almost done.  It was looking very small and I was going to have lots of wool left over when the pattern stated to be careful as I should have very little left.  hmm. The pattern was also confused as too needle size.  It stated in supplies 4.5 mm needles, but the first instruction says to start knitting with 5 mm needles.  I figured I had better be conservative and use the 4.5 mm.
I haven't finished all the leaf points, but have pinned it out to size on the right side.  I am disappointed that the green portion of the yarn hardly shows.  The sample in the store was made in the same colour and it featured lots of green at the outer edge.  oh well, I'm not re-knitting on larger needles.

Not every project works out as planned and it is annoying when you spend good money on supplies.  I will probably end up using this as a gift, so not a total loss.  I did enjoy the methodical repeat of the motif, but I didn't like the way the pattern was written, there were areas that could have been clearer.  Patterns for purchase should be extremely clear, accurate and able to be followed by knitters not familiar with the designers patterns.  A simple line stating which rows made up the pattern repeat would have cleared up much of the confusions.   (there were lots of comments on this pattern on Ravelry from people who found the pattern unclear).

Now I get to ponder my next  knitting project, though I will try and restrict myself to the two that have been partly completed and then stashed away and almost forgotten.  I have far too many of those and it does bother me that they are languishing. This is  the point where I need a big nudge to get me working on one of them and keep me from the lure of a shiny need project.

I am curious, do you have unfinished projects hiding out  or are you one of those people I admire who seeing projects through to completion before starting another.


Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

 Mister Linky is waiting below.

6 comments:

Roslyn said...

Knitting is only a sometime thing for me, maybe traveling when I cannot haul a sewing machine! Your work is always lovely Heather.

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
That shawl is beautiful. Love the stripe quilt your working on, really pretty. I'm always starting new projects while still working on old ones. Maybe that's why I can't seem to finish my quilt tops. Have a great day!

Kate said...

Of course, I have multiple projects on the go at once. A couple of weeks ago, I was looking at a couple of them, decided they really weren't working for me, and frogged them to reclaim the yarn. It felt so liberating.
I like having more then one project, so I can match my mood to my project. Some days need simple projects and some need complex projects.

Tami said...

Wow - lots of projects going on - and all wonderful. The shawl is beautiful - even if it isn't turning out as you wanted. The pattern looks intricate and I love the color.

I always have a dozen projects (or more?) going at one time. I guess I have a short attention span. I haven't done any crafting at all for several weeks. Seeing all your wonderful progress is getting me back in the mood.

Marie said...

As always nice work, Heather. That shawl is lovely. I might regret asking this, but do you have a link to the pattern? I already have a number of shawl patterns in my "might make one day" list, but this one is so pretty, it might be worth the hassle.

As far as unfinished knitting projects go, I currently have a few (3 or 4) started and abandoned. I had a few more, but since the beginning of the year, I've been trying to go back to some of them and catch up. Don't even ask about my other crafting ones. That list is hopelessly long.

Have a great week!

quiltingbydawn said...

I really like your Chinese coin variation quilt! As far as knitting projects, my knitting club has been working on charity knitting for a local hospital. I've been knitting baby hats, baby blankets and washcloths for cancer patients. Small enough projects to not hang around too long.