Tuesday 30 August 2016

Needlework Tuesday - A visit with YarnCanada

 Over the weekend, I had a chance to play with the Scrubby yarn that was sent to me by the kind people at YarnCanada.  The yarn was package neatly in a box and delivered promptly as promised.   They are a relatively new company, with a wide range of yarns and wools that should meet the needs of most Canadian knitters.  YarnCanada is  a sister company to NailPolishCanada, with whom I have shopped in the past.

Red Heart Scrubby is unique from other dish cloth type yarns, in that it is 100% polyester, meaning it is light weight when wet and dries quickly unlike cotton which stays wet forever and in my opinion, gets stinky.
The yarn is #4 - Medium weight.  I used a 5mm crochet hook and 5mm knitting needles and was happy with the tension.  You can clearly see the structure of the yarn in this photo.

 To test out the yarn, I decided on two easy to make projects that I found on the Red Heart website.  First a bath pouf.  Very simple, crochet two long strips and a chain for gathering.

It took  a bit to get used to the yarn as it was hard to see the actual stitches due to the nubbly things.  Then  I realised that it's only a bath pouf, it doesn't have to fit so why worry if I don't get a stitch placed perfectly.  It worked up very quickly with treble stitches.
 It didn't specifically say to, but I laid the strips on top of each other and then laced the chain through the loops before gathering.
 I tied it tight, then tied a loop for hanging and left it in daughter's bathroom for her to try.  She rated it excellent with good exfoliating powers.  She has already asked for some smaller facial scrubbies to be made with this yarn.
Next up, what would it be like to knit with.  I used the pattern "Clean in Stripes Dishcloth".  Again, it was easy to make and I found it even easier to knit with, though occasionally the little nubs would get stuck when pulling the stitch through.  Not a problem though.  The cloth is about 7 inches square which is perfect for washing either face or dishes.

After taking this photo, I took the cloth to the kitchen and started washing.  It worked wonderfully.  It is now quickly drying over the faucet. It has kept it's shape and still looks good.

Red Heart Scrubby is a good quality yarn that I would happily work with again.

The people at YarnCanada have been a pleasure to deal with and I would gladly shop with them in the future.

Note: I received the Scrubby yarn at no cost from YarnCanada for an honest review.  I received no compensation for this post.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

I hope that you are having fun and  making progress on whatever project is dear to your heart at this moment.  Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your needlework post.

 I hope that you have enjoyed this review of this new company and this unique yarn.  It was fun for me to play with this yarn and patterns.  I have made several scrubbies in the past and they are much appreciated by the recipients.  One of their biggest appeals to me,  is that they are small projects that I can finish quickly and then I can enjoy that feeling of success.

If you have any small, easy projects that you enjoy making, please share them in a comment or with a link to your blog post.  Once I start wandering the web looking for projects, I tend to get lost and spend hours roaming around instead of stitching. Your ideas might help to keep me focused and on track.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather
I crocheted a back scrubber for the shower with this and my hubby loves it. I found it difficult on my hands, so wouldn't make a habit of creating with it, but works great.
Stay inspired!

Kate said...

My go to little project, when I want to make something in a hurry, is baby socks. They are quick, easy, don't take much yarn, and are always received with delight by new parents.