Tuesday 4 October 2016

Needlework Tuesday - The start of a new quilt.

 Throughout the summer, I went on a few shop hops with friends looking for the perfect fabrics for a quilt along.  I found a few fabrics but didn't find enough selection.  I gave up on that assortment and went in another direction.  That left me with several fabrics with no project to call home.  Then I went to my local guild meeting last week and they announced a block of the month program for the upcoming year.  With creative adjustments, I'd have enough for this new quilt only having to purchase a 'light' fabric.  The aqua and brown together will be a perfect fit in my bedroom.  I purchased a duvet cover at Ikea last year with just those colours.

I'm not sharing any hints as to the pattern yet, you'll have to wait until I do some sewing, but I can already tell you that I'll be making some small changes to the assembly method. Hope I have some time to sew over the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend. I'll be sure to take photos of the changes.

I have been knitting away at the scarf and am so close to finishing.  The skeins are mere skeletons and keep tangling as I put the yarn.  So exciting to be this close to done.  Pictures next week.

I wonder if psychologists have ever studied the effect on the brain of starting a new project.  I know that I am a serial starter.  I love the planning process and the selecting of supplies and making the first blocks/rows/sleeves (what have you), but I am not a finisher.  There must be some sweet chemical released in my brain when I start something.  I am quite capable of finishing, but I prefer starting. Or it could be possible that I have so many ideas bouncing around in my head, that the only way to get them out or calm them down is to start.  Even if scientists have studied this, it probably wouldn't change my behaviour, that's up to me.  As soon as I finish that scarf, I am going to pick up that almost completed one sitting by my feet and spend the hour or two and get it done before moving on to something else.   Okay, at least I think that's what I am going to do, but don't quote me on it.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

I hope that you are having fun and  making progress on whatever project is dear to your heart at this moment.  Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your needlework post.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Heather, I'm serial starter, too. I'm a little better now than I used to be, though. I still don't finish everything I start, but I have a better handle on it.

I'd love to be able to go back and finish some of the backlog, but mostly those projects don't appeal to me now and may never get done.

Love that vibrant blue and brown together!! Very nice. Can't wait to see your work.

Lin said...

Oh I think we are all serial starters! There are so many lovely projects out there and we want to do them all. I think it is a sign of our wealth because we can afford to just go out and buy some new fabric or yarn for another project. If we went back a hundred years or so then we would have to finish one project while saving up or storing scraps for the next. Good luck with your new project. xx