Tuesday 28 March 2017

Needlework Tuesday - I love knitting cables


  

Did I ever mention how much I enjoy knitting cables.  Perhaps once or twice or more times.   Sometimes I am happy knitting a simple, repeated pattern doing the same cable again and again.  Great for a scarf where you don't want to pay too much attention.

Other times, I want to whole thing, travelling stitches, cables, bobbles and twists.  This shawl provided me with endless challenges.
My current secret project has a repeated horseshoe cable.  It's a 12 row repeat with three cables running the length of the project.  Not really all that much cabling to be done.   They are huge, I could practically stick my hand through the cable gap. I hope someone's toes don't get stuck.  This blanket yarn from Bernat sur is soft.  I have been snug underneath it while stitching.
While I keep focused on the afghan, I thought I'd pull out one of my oldest UFOs. I must have started cutting pieces for this one eight or more years ago.  The pattern is Denim Stars & Circles from Bonnie B Buttons.   I'm using old jeans for the back of the circles and worn out shirts for the fronts.  Of course I am careful with my cutting to avoid the thread bare areas of the garments.  Even when a shirt is worn out, much of the body is still in good shape.   I don't want to make this too big, as denim is very heavy.  The pattern says there is no hand sewing, so there is a change of finishing it soonish if I have enough bits for the front.  Of course, there is yet an entire laundry basket of old jeans waiting to be cut as well as a stack of black denim circles.  Since the edges are intended to fray, I have been marking the cutting lines with a sharpie marker.  Gotta love all the ways to use sharpies in projects.

It will be nice to mark this project off as completed one of these days.  Since I have now told you all about it, I will actually have to work on it and I don't want to be making excuses to all of you.  Please, be my conscience here.

Nobody has to admit it, but some of you might have a rather old UFO that you would like to deal with. Go ahead, pull it out and assess whether you are ever going to work on it.  Then leave me a comment saying simply "I'm going to finish it" or "I'm going to give it away". You don't have to state how long it's been sitting around, though I won't judge you.   I just want to share the good feeling of moving along on a lingering project.


Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post. 


3 comments:

Marie said...

I love cables, too. It's so satisfying to see the pattern emerging. Lovely work!

I have many, many pairs of old jeans saved for the purposes of one day making a quilt. Since you need so many pairs of jeans to make a quilt and it takes time to acquire them (unless you have a huge family or ask others for donations), some of them are going to sit around for a long time. I'm not even sure I want to make a quilt with them anymore or even if my current machine, which I use so rarely, can even handle several layers of denim now. This isn't really a UFO because nothing has been done, but I'm going to pull them out and make a decision. It might not be this week, but sometime soon.

Good luck with your UFO.

Have a great week.

Lin said...

Oh yes, I too have a collection of old shirts waiting to be made up into a raggy quilt! They have all been deconstructed which is a start but no idea when I shall have enough to get going. Love your cables Heather. I am linking up my latest post about a UFO from way way back! Have a great week. xx

Kate said...

I finished my UFO this week. It is a great feeling to get it done.
Love your cables.