Wednesday 9 May 2018

Stitch'n Time - Block Layout

 The weather has been gorgeous here this past week and it's made me want to be outside as much as possible.  I did manage to stay inside for a wee bit of sewing.  Last week I told you that I had mostly finished the blocks for my wall hanging and that I thought it was going to be a challenge to get them arranged.

Well, it was a surprise that I was happy with this first arrangement.  I wanted to match the dark rectangles and have a diagonal going with the large squares.  I had to shuffle which squares went on the outside edge, but other than that , it came together quite well.  Next step is to stitch the blocks together.

The blocks are about 8 inches, four blocks across and 5 down. I doubt that I'll add a border, just straight to the binding.
I had a little yarn left after knitting the bibs and once again came across a pattern from Red Heart that I liked called Snowdrop Mason Jar Cover.  You need to use five 6mm needles to accommodate the pattern.  Once knitted, you slip it over a wide mouth large mason jar and put a battery candle inside.  light will shine through the simple lace pattern.  I have another inch or two to go till decreasing for the bottom.

If I am happy with the results, I'd like to make some up as gifts for Christmas.  yes, I am already thinking ahead.  Next time I want to try using a long 6mm round needle so i don't have to fuss with so many needles.  Will see how this finishes first.

Any one else planning their Christmas projects at this time?  Do you like to make small projects or one or two big ones per year?

Stitch'n Time is a regular week post where I share details of my current needlework posts.  Feel free to link up below to your current or related needlework post.


No comments: