Thursday 25 March 2010

Recipe Thursday - Pistachio-Chocolate Tunnel Cake

I had some of my quilting friends over a few days ago.  We have been doing this once a month for several years.  It has turned out to be a good time to try new recipes and get honest opinions.  Oh yeah, we also get some stitching done. 
I wanted to try something new.  Walking through the house I noticed an old copy of 'whats cooking' from Kraft and found this recipe.  

Pistachio-Chocolate Tunnel Cake

 4 eggs
1 pkg. (2 layer size) white cake mix
1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jell-O Pistachio Instant Pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1 cup Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided
1/4 cup chopped pistachios, divided
2 Tbsp. icing sugar

Make It


PREHEAT oven to 350ºF. Beat eggs, cake mix, dry pudding mix, sour cream, oil, and water in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Remove 1 cup of the batter; place in medium bowl. Add syrup and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips to batter in medium bowl; mix well.
GREASE 12-cup fluted tube pan ; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. of the pistachios and the remaining chocolate chips. Pour half of the plain pistachio batter into pan. Top with chocolate chip-pistachio batter, spreading to within 1/2-inch of edge of pan. (Do not let chocolate chip-pistachio batter touch the edge of pan). Top with remaining plain pistachio batter. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. pistachios.
BAKE 1 hour or until wooden toothpick inserted near centre comes out clean. Cool 10 min.; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.

Kraft Kitchens Tips Substitute You can also use 2 squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted, instead of the syrup.



** I used the 2 squares of chocolate.  I didn't like the chipits that were sprinkled in the pan first.  They just stuck to the pan when I tipped the cake out.

The pan I used is from Nordic Wear.  It used to belong to my best friend Julie Ann.  When she passed away, her mother gave it to me as she knows I love to bake.   It has become one of my favourite cake pans.

for an easy print version of this recipe visit the Kraft website.


Come back on the weekend when I'll add the link to 'Weekend Cooking ' which is hosted by Beth Fish Reads where you can join in the food fun and add your food related link.

9 comments:

Lynda said...

Yummy looking cake.
Thanks for the recipe.
My WC here: http://holisticknitter.blogspot.com/2010/03/weekend-cooking-bread.html

Beth F said...

That looks so pretty and I bet it tastes just as good. And how easy to make!

caite said...

i love bundt cakes and this one looks so good...with a nice cup of tea maybe...yum

Just Mom said...

Yum - looks fantastic!

Jill said...

I love recipes using my Bundt pan, for some bizarre reason! I'm giving this one a try!

JoAnn said...

This looks so good! I've made bundt cakes the past two weekends, but I will try this soon. So special to have your friend's pan, too - I can see why it's one of your favorites.

Anonymous said...

I haven't made a bundt cake for a while. It looks yummy!

You can find my WC HERE

Margot said...

Your cake looks delicious. It also seems easy to do. I like that it looks so elegant the way you have it sitting on the glass plate.

porcelaine said...

Umm, your cake and a nice cup of coffee would be perfect. It really looks delicious!