Tuesday 23 March 2010

Needlework Tuesday

My kids are now settled back into their routines and that means I can get back to mine.  I have been looking forward to sharing my happenings with you all.  I am trying to work on my online grammer course.  Learning so much and its even starting to make more sense.  I have 4 lessons to go and have to write the exam in 4 weeks. Eeks, kinda cutting it close.  If I hadn't got stuck on verbs for 5 weeks I'd be in better shape.

I noticed that I have a new follower this week, even though I have been away.  Thanks to all my wonderful followers.  I am so glad that you all are finding something here that you enjoy and that you want to keep coming back for a visit. 

I am sitting here at my computer with my feet snuggy warm in my new slippers.  I knit them using a pattern found in this ancient pattern book.  If you don't have a copy yourself, your mother or grandmother probably has it in her knitting basket.

I made the 'Ladies TV Boots'.  They call for 'Beehive Craft Yarn, which I have never seen as I believe they discontinued it even before I bought the pattern.  I used one strand of Briggs and Little 'Tuffy' (red) and one strand of Patons Classic Wool (brown) and knit with 9 mm needles.
I had a real hard time taking this picture and getting the light right so you could see the cable up the front and also the 2 colours.  They are a bootie style that comes up above the ankle.

I looked on the Patons site  where there are tons of free patterns, but this one is not available either for purchase or for free.

note:you knit this slipper flat and then seam it together at the bottom of the foot.  My sister told me when i was finished that I should have added a third strand of DK weight to get the tension correct.  I will try that with my next pair.

I want to try some other slipper patterns this year, so let me know if you have a favourite.

Head on over to or Friday' hosted at Lit and Laundry see what  projects other bloggers have finished this week.  If you have something to share, be sure to add your link .

4 comments:

Dorte H said...

Oh, they look warm and comfortable.

Linda said...

I have that book! Those slippers are awesome. I knit mostly scarves because I am afraid to try anything with shape but I think I can make these. I am going to try. Thanks for the inspiration.

Roslyn said...

I used to have knitted slippers when I was a child, brings back memories! Now that I am old I need more padding for the bottom of my feet!

Threeundertwo said...

Oooh cozy! I could use a pair of those. Sometimes those old pattern books have some real gems in them.