Thursday 7 October 2010

Recipe Thursday - Ghirardelli Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are one of those baked goods that I tend to fall back on when I want to make a treat but don't want to worry about finding unusual ingredients, or worry whether anyone in the family will eat it when it comes out of the oven.  A great stand by.

I was at the Lindt outlet store recently and they had bags of Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate chips.  I had not tried them and was wondering if the little bit more cost was worth it.    On a taste test of the chipits alone, yes, but what about when baked.   The chips them shelves are more like a slightly flattened disk  and they are larger than I expected.  It was the taste that made the difference.  Excellent.  I will definitely be purchasing these again.

I used the recipe on the back of the package.  You can click here to print from the Ghirardelli website, or you can copy and print it from this post.  There are lots of other recipes at the site as well as information about cooking with chocolate.

The Ultimate Chocolate Cookies

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 bag (326 grams) Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Heat oven to 375 F.  Combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.  In large bowl cream butter with two sugars, eggs and vanilla.  Gradually stir flour mixture into creamed mixture.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.  Shape 1 inch dough balls on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake 9 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool 2 minutes , then remove to rack.  Makes about 4 dozen 2 1/2 inch cookies.

I tried rolling the dough into balls, but it was so warm and sticky that I used two spoons to drop blobs onto the pan.  You could chill the dough if you want balls and nice round cookies.  I chose to use walnuts since I had them on hand.

I really did make more than the five cookies shown in the top photo....


"Weekend Cooking" is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.  Visit to read an assortment of Food Related Posts. You are invited to add a link to your recent foodie post.

5 comments:

Miri said...

These look delish! I love chocolate and chocolate chip anything-have to try some milk chocolate in my cookies.

The Single Nester said...

You had me at Ghiradelli! I love their 70% and higher dark chocolate!

caite said...

Wait?!
there are Lindt outlet stores?
oh my.....

Beth F said...

I adore Ghirardelli chocolate and never really thought about making cookies with their chips. This sounds like a must try.

Roslyn said...

I buy their choc chips in Costco, they are SO much better than Nestle, I will take just a few as a late night treat! Let them melt in my mouth, yum! Satisfies my sweet tooth!