Friday 15 October 2010

First Nations/Aboriginal Fridays - Blueberry Rapids by Rene Andre Meshake

This is the story of Giniw, who one day is asked by his Okomissan, grandmother, to go blueberry collecting.  This is a treat for him and he hurries to get ready.  He doesn't listen to his grandmother when she tells him not to bring is drawing supplies.

The ancestors at Blueberry Rapids determine that Giniw needs to be taught a lesson in truth and they present him with the opportunity.  Fortunately he listens to them and learns his lesson.  He then thanks them by making a drawing on a riverside stone.

I was fortunate to meet Mr. Meshake at the Eden Mills Writer's Festival.  He had a table along 'Publisher's Way' and featured both his writings and art work.  I purchased a copy of Blueberry Rapids at that time.

This is a lovely book that any child would be happy to read, particularly if it was with a grandparent.  Adults reading it will fall in love with the gorgeous artwork by Mr. Meshake.

It was impossible to chose my favourite picture in the book.  The one at left is from the part of the story where Giniw and his Okomissan are drinking their tea and he thinks he hears voices that is not the sound of the wind in the tree.  I think he was hearing the voices of his ancestors that are depicted in this painting.

There is a glossary of Ojibwe/English words at the back of the book.

I also bought a t-shirt with an image of 'The Mother Bear'  by Rene.  It immediately became my hubby's favourite shirt. 

Be sure to visit Rene Meshake's website to learn more about his art work and his other writings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to check out his website now. Thanks :).
Stay inspired!
Michelle
Brain Angles - Invisible Ink

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Sounds wonderful and as for that illustration - beautiful.

Shan said...

Hi Heather,
I recently received an award and I wanted to pass that love on to you. I really enjoy your blog, I love how you highlight Canadian and Aboriginal writers, and the recipes are amazing as well!

Your Award
Shan