Tuesday 2 November 2010

Needlework Tuesday - Halloween Costume

 I've always loved making costumes.  This year was no different.  My daughter didn't want my help beyond giving her some white fabric she could tear into strips. My niece  Michelle was looking forward to her first Canadian Halloween and found a pattern for Mr. & Mrs. Pototo Head in my pattern stash.

She bought a great piece of sweater knit fabric and I sewed the body and attached a few strips of velcro on the front.  Niece used many sheets of craft foam and cut out and decorated all the 'accessory' pieces.  Oh yes, I also made the tiny handbag  to carry a cell phone and camera.  There is a pocket on the back of the costume to store the extra face pieces.

Being modelled are ourfavourite glasses, we call them the 'Dame Edna' glasses and added a row of rhinestones across the top and a few more in those swooping corners.  Note that there is also a rhinestone on the right front upper tooth.  Gotta have that bling.
I checked the Simplicity website and this pattern isn't listed any longer.  There are dozens of other fun ones available.

Michelle sent me this photo of Mrs. Potato Head's extra face pieces.  They all have  velcro on the back for easy changing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wondeful ,costume ,always my favourite in toy story ,all the best stu

Heather said...

I didn't have this toy but remember playing with it at a friend's house. i thought they were so lucky.

Paulina said...

Excellent costume! My kids loved Mr. Potato Head when they were younger.

Lady Penguin said...

I love it! So cute!

Anonymous said...

Very cute :)
Stay inspired!

Barb said...

What a cute costume....

Nazmiş Teyze said...

happy halloween :)very sweet costumes...