Wednesday 3 November 2010

Fragile by Lisa Unger

Peering in from the outside, life seems idyllic in The Hollows. Psychologist Dr. Maggie Cooper and her husband Police Detective Jones Cooper are awaiting their son Ricky's graduation from high school. 

This is all turned on end when Charlene, Ricky's girlfriend disappears.  Rumours swirl that she has run away to New York City as she has often threatened to do.  A Facebook message that she posts supports that claim; but Ricky feels that it wasn't written by Charlene. 

While investigating this case, Jones has to face a looming ghost from his past which draws him back together with a number of his high school confidants.

I found this a well constructed mystery that kept me from figuring out 'who done it'.  Unfortunately I didn't connect with any of the main characters.  They seemed too flat, without enough depth.  Several of them wanted to escape their small town where everyone knew everyone else, yet those that did manage to leave were all easily pulled back.  Didn't they develop any roots in their life when they were outside of The Hollows.

When I read a book like this I want it to grab me and keep me reading till the wee hours of the morning.  This one I was able to put down and leave with only forty pages to go.  It's an okay read, but not what I was expecting or hoping for. 

Author Lisa Unger's website.

This was a library copy.

2 comments:

Dorte H said...

It is so disappointing when a writer can construct a fine plot but is not able to live up to the expectations one has to the characters. A pity, because this one sounds rather intriguing.

The Single Nester said...

This sounds like a nice read. I will have to check it out.