Tuesday 1 March 2011

Needlework Tuesday - A New Mystery Quilt

A few years ago I happened upon a copy of Thirtysomething by Gayle Bong.  She had designed an interesting set of quilts using a unit that employees 30 degree angles.  I'll admit to having read and browsed through the book numerous times, but to date, I haven't attempted to make anything from it.  Not due to the fact that I don't have the special 30 something ruler, as you don't have to have the ruler, Gayle tells you how to make your own template.  

I have been following Gayle's blog for a while now.  Always fun to read and see what other quilters are working on.  A few weeks ago Gayle introduced a new mystery quilt.  Since I need to start a new quilt just like I need another hole in my head, I decided that I would do it.  That way I could also try out these 30 something units.  Yippee.

Announcing the Mystery, I needed light background fabric and a mix of medium and darks for the balance.  Out came my colour wheel.  I knew I had lots of oranges and wanted them to be the main colour. 


I selected the basic orange, and it's split complementaries, blue-green and blue-violet.  I have my mediums and darks cut into the required strips and triangles.  For the light I have selected a 'Fairy Frost' by Michael Miller.
  You'll have to wait for a photo on that one.

Gayle has the next step posted, The Mystery Begins, which has instructions for cutting the light background pieces.  Then comes the sewing,  Step 2, half square triangles and square in a square units.

I'll be back next week with photos of my progress.  If I'm lucky, Gayle will post Step 3...

I did manage to find time for other stitching.  My socks are coming along nicely.  I have about four inches of the foot completed.  I need to do six inches.  I did make a mistake in the lacy stitch at one point, but didn't bother to go back and take it out, I figured that I would make even more of a mess. Besides, when I am wearing them, no one better be that close to my feet that they can pick out a tiny mistake.  Get a life people.

I also made two fabric postcards this past week.  I have written a post with a bunch of step by step photos and posted it on my postcard blog.  I hope you will click the link and check them out.

Over at Daisy's Book Journal, Marie has started a new pair of socks.  She is using the Kroy Sock yarn called 'Paint Box'.  It looks great.  Be sure to click on over and have a visit.

Are you working on a needlework project?  Join in the fun, blog about it and link with us.  We'll encourage each other and hopefully we'll get it finished.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Great post! I love the colours in the mystery quilt. Beautiful! I think this is the first time I've really seen the lacy stitch on your socks. Very pretty. Keep up the good work.

I'm off to check out your postcard blog. ;)