Tuesday 5 September 2017

Needlework Tuesday - We're our own toughest critics

Meet Mr. Fox. He is from a pattern by Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts.   He's from the Forest Friends pattern.

Daughter and I spend some time last evening selecting fabrics for this block.  We thought we had it perfect.  Now that he's complete, I'm having second thoughts.  The fur fabric is great, but the reddish pelt seems more like a jacket.

He is going to be made into a pillow cover. Next I need to add a one inch border of the background fabric and then a two inch border of a leafy print.

Should I make a second block using a more plain fabric for his 'coat' or is this good.  He is going to be part of a fund raiser and I want to ensure that people will purchase raffle tickets for the pillow he'll be sporting.

This pattern was published with the fox as an 8 inch block.  I used EQ7 software to resize him to 12 inches.  It wasn't as easy as I imagined it would be.  Lorna uses the stitch and flip technique and EQ7 uses half square triangles with seam allowances.  Lorna's technique makes for much simpler cutting.  As I was working along, I cut the pieces just before sewing them as I needed to keep adjusting the sizes to suit Lorna's method.  I did make notes as I went, so it will be easier the next time.

Once I am happy with this little fellow, I am going to do the same with the deer head block from the same pattern.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

 Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post.

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
I like the new project your working on. I think your fox
needs to be either the red or the fur print. The red is confusing to look at, your right about it looking like he's wearing a jacket. Hope this helps you out. Have a great day!