Tuesday 14 December 2010

Needlework Tuesday - Snowflake Afghan Finished


During the summer I showed a series of pictures while I was working on this afghan.  Now it's finished and I am so happy.  I had to stop for a while as the pattern didn't call for sufficient variegated yarn to finish the project and I couldn't find any more.  My sister came to the rescue and found some for me.  

There are a few corrections to the pattern which I'll be sending to Red Heart.  Here's the link for the pattern.

Corrections:

This pattern needs 2 balls of white and 6 (not 5) balls of Variegated.  The variegated balls are shorter than the plains.  I did weigh my finished afghan with all the ends, and left over balls and there is no way that I only used 5 balls. 

In the section 'Joining Rnd 7' in line 2, the reference to the 'ch-3 space' should read 'ch-2 space'.
Under Filler Motif, Joining Round 3.  In the 4th line, starting "in next space" should read "In next ch 1 space". 

The border instructions didn't work at all.  I gave up when it told me to work in the chain 5 space.  Well, there are no chain 5 spaces anywhere in the whole project.  I did 5 single crochets in each chain 3 space and 3 in each chain 1 space.   The instructions didn't consider how to deal with the joining between two blocks, so I treated them much like a chain 3 space. 

As you can see from my picture, my version of the border worked out.  As I have told you before, I am not a great crocheter, more a functional one, so there may have been mis-interpretations on my part.   I still need to work in about 300 ends and then I can give it to my niece.

8 comments:

Anya said...

Very nice job on the snowflake afghan!

Marie said...

Very nice. You do such great work.

It's really annoying to find mistakes in a pattern. Don't they check that before publishing it? I reviewed a knitting book last year and found numerous errors in it. I was so disappointed. I made two items from the thing that turned out well, but I'm a bit scared to attempt something else.

Linda said...

Wow Heather!! That is the prettiest afghan I have ever seen. You are so talented. Your niece will love it!

Dorte H said...

Oh, this one is absolutely wonderful! I love those colours!

Karen said...

Lucky niece - that is one gorgeous afghan. It would be hard to give that away.
Thanks for the broccoli salad recipe - I printed it off, it looks yummy!

Darlene said...

The afghan is absolutely beautiful! I've got so many projects on the go I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get any of them done. lol.

Jenny Girl said...

What a beautiful afghan?! Very pretty and nice work :)

The little book of Nessie said...

Lovely afghan Heather and finished in time for your winter months. Love the combination of blue and white. Well done. Regards, Nessie