Tuesday 14 December 2010

Needlework Tuesday - To Block your Knitting or Not

 I find that it is not always required to block a project once you finish knitting.  In this case, I really needed to do as the scarf was all curled up and didn't look good at all. 

What scarf am I talking about.  It's the one called "Nana Fascinator" from the Mission Falls: East + West book.  I amde this scarf using the 1824 wool from Mission Falls.  I have used it in several projects previously and loved knitting with it.
 Here's one end of the scarf pinned on the towel covered ironing board.  I then steamed it with the iron, being careful not to touch the surfact of the iron to the knitting.  Then left it pinned out over night to dry throughly.
 In this photo you can see the difference that blocking makes.  The left side has not been blocked and is all crumpled up, whereas the right side is lying flat.  The lacy diamonds show up so much better after blocking and the fringe is tidier also.
I didn't get the lighting correct on these photos and the true green is somewhere between the two colours shown. This is a gift for a friend.

6 comments:

Marie said...

That's so beautiful. Blocking makes all the difference, eh? Your family and friends are lucky to have you. ;)

I'm finally putting together my blocks for the Bernat Knit-Along afghan. Remember that project from a year ago? I decided not to block and it's coming together nicely. I really hope to finish it one day. *sigh*

Linda said...

Blocking sure made a difference! What a lovely scarf.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job. I agree that blocking it is definitely a huge difference in the look.
Stay inspired!
Brain Angles - Invisible Ink

Anonymous said...

I admire anyone who can do this. I have no talent for it but sure to appreciate good work when I see it. Well, done.

(M)ary said...

Wow. Love the color and love the design!

Jenny Girl said...

This is a cute scarf! I like the color and the fringe is a nice touch. It's different. I almost always block my knitting. Except for some things like mittens and hats, I blocvk everything.