Saturday 11 August 2012

Weekend Cooking: Butter Chicken Soup

Chicken marinading in an assortment of spices
In my last foodie post, I told you about a canned soup I tried in New Zealand.  It was a soup version of butter chicken. Since that brand is not available in Canada, I determined to find a recipe.  It was far easier than I thought, the first recipe I found, was then quoted in the next four sites I checked.  Since it was being recommended again and again,  I knew that was the one to try.

The recipe was developed by Sophie Gray of  destitute gourment and was published in Healthy Food Guide, a magazine from New Zealand that is dedicated to presenting information and recipes to help it's readers prepare and eat food that is healthy for them.


Browning Chicken


While this recipe does have a long list of ingredients, it is very easy to make, just remember that you need to let the meat marinade in the spices for at least one hour before you continue with the soup making.

Butter Chicken Soup
Marinade:
1 large boneless chicken breast
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 large cloves of garlic, crushed

Soup:
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1/4 tsp chili powder
400 gram can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste  (I used tomato ketchup)
2 tbsp all purpose white flour
2 tsp brown sugar
3 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup basmati rice, uncooked
1/4 cup light cream (I used 5% cream)

Cut the meat into small pieces.  Combine with the other marinade ingredients in a glass bowl, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.  Add marinated chicken and chopped onion.  Stir constantly until the chicken is sealed (white looking) and the onion is soft.  Add the dried spices and ginger, then stir in the tomatoes and chicken stock.  When simmering, pour in the basmati rice, stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
Mix together the tomato paste and flour and whisk, a little at a time, into the soup.  (I added broth from the soup into the mixture as it was very thick, to thin it before adding it to the pot)  Add the brown sugar and cream and season to taste.

Serve in soup bowls with a dollop of natural yoghurt, chopped fresh coriander and torn up naan bread for dunking.

printable recipe for Butter Chicken Soup.


This soup was wonderful.  It's a good thing I made a double batch as we wanted to eat it again as soon as we finished dinner.  We'll be repeating this one many times.

If you enjoy eating Butter Chicken, you might also enjoy visitiing Always Cooking up Something, and reading her review of The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken by Tarquin Hall.

I missed a few pictures from vacation and wanted to share them with you.  We are big fans of sushi and when I saw this version of 'sushi sandwiches' I had to take a photo even though my family are embarrassed when I pull out my camera.  It was  in a food court not a gourmet restaurant.  I could eat these every day.  You can barely tell, but there is a layer of salmon in the middle.



i had also told you that we ate at a wonderful cafe called Little and Friday.  Finally found where daughter had put those photos.  First photo below is of the most amazing donut I have ever eaten.


I don't know what these are called, but they are like a rolled bread muffin with a bit of sauce, cheese and veggies. Again, these are something that I could eat repeatedly.



For more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking post.

17 comments:

MJ said...

I've never heard of Butter Chicken soup, but it sounds really good. Thanks for the recipe!

Beth F said...

I have never heard of this soup either but OMG I love the spices in it and it looks as easy as can be to make. Yum.

Oh and the baked goods? Those veggie muffins/rolls look awesome.

Esme said...

I have made butter chicken but never knew it as a soup.

caite said...

nope, I never heard of it either, but it sounds excellent. I will be making this soon, I can assure you.

Chinoiseries said...

Butter chicken soup is like the curry, but with a bit of rice and more stock? I'll have to give the veggie version a try, because it looks delicious! (There are actually quite decent veggie versions :))

The sushi sandwich is something new to me, but it's a really neat variation on the old-fashioned sushi roll or triangle :)

And wow, that donut. I want one now! Mmm, the bread muffin is a reminder to make savoury muffins with cheese and veggies again!

Chinoiseries said...

This is my go-to recipe for "butter chicken", it uses tofu and (blended) cashew nuts. I've made it twice now and it's really tasty! http://www.holycowvegan.net/2011/12/tofu-makhani.html

Carol said...

Thanks for the recipe, it looks delicious. I definitely want to make this very soon!
Those muffins look so good.

Linda said...

I love the sushi sandwich!
I love butter chicken so I want give this a try!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I'm bookmarking your soup recipe, I know my family would enjoy it. I enjoy your vacation food photos too!

Carole said...

I love butter chicken but wouldn't have thought of it as a soup. Thanks.

PS if you had any post about a book you loved, the August edition of Books You Loved on Carole's Chatter is open for links!

Have a super week.

So many books, so little time said...

Not my kind of food but wow it looks great!

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

Marie said...

Thanks for the butter chicken soup recipe! I'll definitely be trying it. Yum.

Cecelia said...

That recipe looks fabulous. The ginger and chili sound like great additions. I'll have to try this as soon as it gets cool out!

Too Fond said...

Yum! I used to have an Indian student whose mother would make me butter chicken and it was delicious, but I've never had it as a soup. I will definitely have to try this one!

Marg said...

We are big fans of butter chicken in our house, but I would never have thought of making it as a soup. I am going to have to save this recipe and give it a try while it is still soup weather here!

Kailana said...

This sounds good! I am thinking I will have to try it at some point. :)

Nancy said...

the sushi sandwich as you call it has a name called onigiri, (might have spelt it wrong) i used to eat them in Tokyo all the time. So yummy. I wish they had them here.