Tuesday 6 September 2011

Needlework Tuesday - Three Projects Finished

 Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project.. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post.

Here in Ontario it's back to school day.  Son started his first day at college.  Actually we took him to my sister's two weeks ago, as he will be staying with her for the next two years.  Wow, my little boy at college.  He'll be studying photography.  Hopefully he'll allow me to post the occasional one here to share with you.    Daughter has started her second year of high school.  The school bus stop for the whole street happens to be right outside our front door, so she has no excuses for missing that ride.

Good luck to all the students in their studies this year.




Ages ago, but less than a year, I showed you some wonderful Betty Boop fabrics that my son had selected.  He wanted me to make him boxer shorts.  Finally the last pairs are finished.  I think that he now has 7 or 8 pairs all featuring this classic lovely.
 
This one is biker inspired images.

 Valentine cutie.
And the most colourful of the bunch, Halloween.

I have lots of leftover bits and have cut pieces for a quilt for my son.  I still need more variety or it will be a very small quilt and as you know, kids keep growing and he needs a full bed size at least. 
My mother and I have joined in a mystery quilt project with one of our online quilt guilds.  This one is a table runner.  I am making one for her and she is making one for me.  At some point in history we challenged each other to use these fabrics in a quilt project.  She made a runner and gave it to my sister in Calgary. (I'll ask her to send me a photo for next week's post).  There is one other fabric she used, but I can't find it yet in my mess of fabrics.  In fact, I can't even remember buying these fabrics and challenging my mom to use them all together.  Thank goodness she has a better memory for those kind of details.  (edited to add that you should read the comment by annonymous)

This photo doesn't do the fabrics justice, for some reason the fabric in the back is showing much light than it really is.  I hope I can find the cream and brown fabric that mixes in, otherwise I have to start digging through the boxes in the basement and hope for luck.

I also have four more pairs of boxer shorts sitting on the sewing table.  I was on a cutting spree a few months back and cut out about seventeen pairs.  Next I am going to work on the pairs which I can sew with blue thread.  I'll work at them all at the same time, assembly line fashion.  So much easier when I can do the same step at the same time.  Saves going back and reading the instructions each time.

Do you ever do projects in that fashion?  or do you tend to do a single item and finish it before starting the next?

You really must pop on over to Lit and Laundry to view the gorgeous autumn needlepoint .  I'll have to remember to go there on Friday and join in the Finished for Friday meme.

Marie at Daisy's Book Journal has been digging through a box that needed unpacking and found some Hardanger projects that she is sharing.

4 comments:

Threeundertwo said...

I usually work on one thing a day, but I work on different projects from one day to the next - I have a very short attention span when it comes to my crafting.

I did a post today! http://litandlaundry.blogspot.com/2011/09/needlework-tuesday-autumn-wreath.html

Anonymous said...

the reason you can't remember buying is because Mom bought it and then challenged you.

Marie said...

I've never tried the assembly line method. It sounds like a good idea, though.

I love these boxer shorts. I wonder how Betty and the hearts will go over at college.

Good luck with the challenge.

Grandma Coco said...

Seventeen pairs of boxer shorts!! Holy Smokes. Seriously, cutting them all out at once sounds like a good idea but I get really cranky if I have to do the same thing many times. Do you layer the fabric to cut it?

I do like your boxers!