Thursday 1 September 2011

Recipe Thursday - Bump up Your Breakfast

I don't have much difficulty deciding what to make for a tasty and nutritious lunch or dinner; it's breakfast that stumps me.  For the past term of school, I made fruit filled protein shakes to share with the kids every morning.  However, in the summer they tended to sleep in far beyond when I wanted my breakfast, and a whole smoothie had far  too many calories for just one person.

Over the course of a week, I came up with a combination that has been keeping me full for hours.  A simple bowl of oatmeal, topped with a ripe sliced banana and a measured amount of pecans.   You can't get much simpler. 

Oatmeal is a wonder food in my opinion.  It costs cents to make a bowl and is most easily done in the microwave or with a kettle of boiling water.  It is widely reported to help lower bad cholesterol levels.  Check out this website, Eat More Oats, for additional information.   I think that everyone knows that bananas are an excellent source of potassium.  While pecans do have a lot of calories from fat, they are cholesterol free and help to lower LDL levels (bad cholesterol).  They also contain a good amount of protein which helps you keep feeling full.  Best of all, they taste great.

Oatmeal Breakfast
1/3 cup quick oats
2/3 cup water
1 banana sliced
1/4 cup pecan pieces

Place oats and water in a deep cereal dish and microwave for 1 - 2 minutes.  Remove and stir.  Add sliced banana and top with pecans.  I then use my spoon to break up the banana and mix it real well.  If you happen to have those little packets of flavoured instant oatmeal, go ahead and use them, they will probably have sugar added.

variation: some days I substitute 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice and 1/2 cup soy milk for the oats and water.

Are you an oatmeal eater?  If so, what do you stir in?


Looking for more foodie fun, pop on over to Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.  This meme is posted on Saturday morning, I'll add the actual link at that time.

10 comments:

Marie said...

I love oatmeal! Unfortunately, it really gets my acid reflux going, so I can't have it all the time and have to make sure I've taken my medication.

Anyway, I like to add the following:
banana
Medjool dates
cinnamon
peanut butter (stir in a tablespoon or two just before it's done)
chopped Ambrosia apple
raisins
walnuts

I usually add a combination of the above things. Also, I always add some ground flax seeds. It, too, is good for regulating cholesterol.

One more thing, I usually use large flake oatmeal when I make porridge, but my favourite it steel-cut oats. If you haven't tried it, you should. It's yummy.

Beth F said...

I sometimes cook cut-up banana or other fruit right in with the oatmeal. I use almonds or pecans and cinnamon (good for your blood pressure). Lots of good combinations for a hearty, healthful breakfast.

Joy Weese Moll said...

My husband makes muesli from oatmeal (uncooked) -- he puts in flax seeds, dates, and walnuts.

kikifitz said...

I like the steel cut Irish style oats. they take a LOOOONG time to cook, like 45 minutes, so I make a large amount ahead, then microwave a serving as I want it. I love to put mixed dried fruit in my oatmeal and heat them up so they plump.

TheBookGirl said...

We all love oatmeal around here, even my college age daughter. I buy the huge Quaker Oats box at Costco and store it in tupperware containers after opening.

I like to use vanilla soy milk to make mine; I add ground flax seeds, and sometimes raisins.

My daughter and husband like it plain.

I want to try making steel cut oats in the crockpot this fall.

Sharon Galligar Chance said...

I used to make oatmeal for my boys when they were little. I'd add a dollop of jam into the mix and they loved it!

Nan said...

I love oatmeal. I like to barely cook rolled oats (on the stove, since I don't have a microwave), and then add honey. That's it. I do the same with the steel cut oats.

Heather said...

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. I bought a bag of steel cut oats today and am looking forward to trying them tomorrow.

Heather S-G said...

One reason I enjoy oatmeal is that you could eat a different meal every morning, yet still be eating "it"! While I often revert back to just a pool of brown sugar, I love stirring in bananas, toasted almonds, and poppyseeds, as well. =)

Col (Col Reads) said...

I agree, I'm often stumped by getting a good breakfast. This sounds simple and yummy!