Tuesday 30 August 2011

Needlework Tuesday - Gorgeous Red Doily

Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project.. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post.
I had the best of intentions of writing a post first thing this morning.  I had my photos ready and knew what I was going to talk about, and then I got caught up in a sewing project.  If you remember, last week I told you that I was going to finish my current crochet project and then I would sew.  Well, the doily is done and I had started on all my mending.  The big mending project, which I had been putting off for quite some time, was to repair the curtain hanging in front of the sliding door. 

It needed new pleater tape at the top and then hemming and replacement of the blackout liner.  Once i got started on the project, I didn't want to stop.  I had a few holes/tears from the dog that needed mending, but that took a short time.  A search on the internet found a few guidelines for applying the pleating tape.  I used the one called 'Broken Pencil'.  What took the most time was find the blackout liner.  Seven stores.  I finally found one at Walmart.  The brand name is Eclipse.  I am so impressed.  It blocks out so much more light than the previous blackout liner.  Since I already had the curtain, I bought the one called 'Thermaliner'.  I had to purchase two packages since my window is quite wide, an used 3 of the 4 panels. (I stitched them together on the sewing machine using a zig zag stitch).

I don't have any photos since it's a cream coloured curtain in front of a cream wall.  Very boring.


I finished my second pink doily.  The one that I was re-doing since it was smaller than expected.  I did move up a hook size and off I went.  Well, I pinned it out the ironing board and steamed it to block.  When all was said and done, it was almost exactly the same size as the first one.  Hey mom, I'll have them ready for you when I drop by to visit later in the week.

Last week I introduced you to this red doily.  It's a pattern by Elizabeth Hiddleson.  I used a 2mm hook.  I guess I should have gone with a slightly smaller one.

At this point, start of row 10, it looks rather like a spider.  At the top of the photo you can see that I am just beginning to link together the arms.
 Now I have finished row 18, just 2 more to go.
All finished, in need of blocking.
 Close up, in need of blocking still.You can see that it still has wiggly chains and the points around the outside are not defined.
I made a broadcloth pining template.  Using a Sharpie marker, I drew circles one inch apart  and marked cross lines through the middle.  Next I lined up the centre of the doily with one of the lines and pinned out half.
 All finished. The pattern says it should measure 15 3/4 inches across, mine is just a shade larger than 20 inches.
One final close up.  Note that the chains are quite straight now and the points are pointy.  I still have all the thread ends to hide away, but it's done.

Yippee.  This is my largest doily yet.  I do intend to hook a few more, but for now I need to get more sewing done.  I don't know what I will work on next, but I'm sure when I walk into my sewing area tomorrow, something will jump out at me and beg for attention.
If you are looking for a knitting project, Cheryl over at Grandma Coco's Designs will be starting a knit along on September 6, 2011.  It's called "The Papa Bear Sampler Scarf" and is intended to be worn by a man.  No lacy stitches.  Grab a ball or two of fingering weight wool and knit up your tension square so you'll be ready.  Even if you don't intend to knit the scarf, be sure to pop over for a visit to check out the great drawing that Cheryl did to accompany the post.


What have you been stitching at this week.  Leave a comment with a link to your recent post and I'll add you to our happy group.

3 comments:

Tea said...

Your doily is beautiful.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Such a pretty, vibrant red.

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Wow! Omg why have I never come here before? Great blog- following now! Porridge for breakfast it is!
Monika in Saskatoon