Tuesday 16 August 2011

Endurrun Run 2011 - Recipe Round-up


Wow!  The week of racing has crossed the finish line and I am recovering.  While I may not have been running, it was still a race to get all that food prepared and on the table by the time the racers were ready to replenish themselves. The dishes that we prepared were wide ranging to accommodate the preferences and dietary needs of the many participants.  Fortunately, when it comes to food, I enjoy a challenge.  I am lactose intolerant, and am getting pretty good at dealing with that, but when it comes to gluten intolerant or vegan, that's harder.  Judging by the empty dishes and smiling faces, I think that I met both those challenges.

A few of my food stats:
43-60 runners
30 volunteers
6 dozen hard boiled eggs/deviled eggs
200 oz of cooked chick peas
6 large bunches broccoli
1 kg feta cheese
uncounted lemons and limes
1 Mars bar
80 large Freezies

I have had requests for several of my recipes, mainly the hummus and the broccoli salad.  This post is going to be long, so I'll list below the recipes you'll find:

Sweet Potato Hummus -vegan
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus -vegan
Cilantro Lime Hummus - vegan
Broccoli Salad - dairy
Easy Couscous Vegetable Salad -vegan
Citrus Quinoa Salad - vegan, gluten free
Baked Quinoa with Sweet Potatoes and Almonds - vegan, gluten free
Hummingbird cake - dairy free
Raw Vegan Carob Pecan Biscotti
Coconut Pie - gluten free, dairy free

The Great Hummus Challenge

Over the course of the week I made 10 batches of hummus.  Original style hummus lost to a flavoured hummus every time.  After the completion of the marathon, I put the three flavours on the table: Sweet Potato, Roasted Red Pepper, and Cilantro Lime.  I'll let the photo speak for it's self.

Winner: Cilantro Lime
Second: Roasted Red Pepper
Third: Sweet Potato


Coriander and Lime Hummus      from a recipe by Louise at Adventures in a Low GI World

1 cup fresh coriander leaves packed
2 cloves garlic
1  19oz can chick peas, rinsed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice, use fresh when possible
1 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
3 tsp chili sauce
1 tsp ground cumin

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend till smooth.  You might have to add a tablespoon of water, but the coriander adds lots of moisture.  I use Cock Brand Sweet Chili Sauce for Chicken.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus     Adapted from a recipe by Canadian Living Test Kitchen

1  19oz can of chick peas , drained and rinsed
3/4 cup drained and chopped roasted red peppers (from a jar works well)
1/4 cup  fresh lemon juice
1/2  cup tahini paste
2 cloves garlic

Put all ingredients into food processor and process till smooth.  you might need to add a tablespoon or two of water to get a spreadable consistency.

Sweet Potato Hummus      Adapted from a Recipe by Martha Stewart

1 pound sweet potatoes
1  19 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup tahini
2 tsp ground cumin
1 garlic clove

Cook the sweet potatoes in your favourite manner.  I prefer to do them in the oven, but in the summer, the barbecue works wonders.  You can also choose to cook them in the microwave.

Put all ingredients in the food processor and blend till smooth.  You will probably have to add up to a 1/4 cup of water.

Broccoli Salad and Easy Couscous Vegetable Salad


I posted both these recipes together in my Endurrun 2009 Food Update, so click here for that post.

Citrus Quinoa Salad    From Anne Lindsay's Light Hearted Everyday Cooking. 

1 cup quinoa
1 cup diced unpeeled English cucumber
1/2 cup diced figs or dried apricots or raisins
1/2 cup drained canned mandarin orange sections, halved
1/4 sunflower seeds or toasted almonds
2 green onions, diced
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley

Dressing:
1 tsp grated lemon or lime rind
3 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp granulated sugar
 1/4 tsp each ground cumin and coriander

Rinse quinoa under cold running water; drain (use a fine sieve).  In saucepan, bring 2 cups water to boil; stir in quinoa.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is transparent; drain and let cool.
In salad bowl, combine quinoa, cucumber, figs, orange sections, sunflower seeds, onions and coriander.

Dressing: In small bowl, mix lemon rind and juice, sesame oil, sugar, cumin and coriander; pour over salad and toss to mix.  Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

I make this salad using extra orange pieces, lime rind and lime juice.

Baked Quinoa with Sweet Potatoes and Almonds  - this is from Not Your Mother's Casseroles by Faith Durand.
I tested and reviewed this recipe on my blog just a few weeks ago.  Click the title for the link.












Hummingbird Cake

This is from a wonderful recipe at the Robin Hood Flour site. Click the title to visit the site.   I make it with a basic butter cream frosting using  a lactose free margarine keeping the whole cake dairy free.

Raw Vegan Carob Pecan Biscotti

I can take no credit for this dish.  I make it exactly as I found it at Wayfaring Chocolate.  Hannah did a wonderful job on this recipe and has posted a complete how-to.   Note - 15ml = 1 tbsp coconut oil.


Gluten Free Dairy Free Coconut Tarts  From Simply Gluten-Free


This is stretching me as far from my traditional baking as I can get, but I have to tell you, this was an easy recipe and it turned out perfect.  I followed as close as possible to the printed instructions (click on the title to visit Simply Gluten-Free where you will find a further link to a printer friendly version).  I didn't have Kinnikinnick graham style crumbs.  I used Nature's Path Mesa Sunrise flakes and crushed them to a measure of 1 cup. Crush as fine or as coarse as you like.  I browned my coconut in a frying pan on top of the stove.  I find it easier to keep and eye on them so they don't burn.

Thank-you all for joining me for this rather long food post.  I really enjoyed my week of volunteering and will be back at the races next year with more tempting dishes.  Still looking for new hummus variations to try and a friend has requested a gluten-free, lactose free Key Lime Pie.  The challenges never end, thank goodness.

13 comments:

Marie said...

Thanks for all of the recipes. These look awesome.

I must apologize for a previous comment. I now realize that I misread a previous post in which you said "I brought..." with regards to the hummus. I read this as "I bought..." and assumed you had purchased the hummuses (or it that hummi?).

Anyway, I'm happy that I can make these at home with your recipes. Yippee! Thanks again.

Hannah said...

No food post can ever be too long! :D I'm honoured to be included in your round-up of delicious... I hoenstly want everythign here! Particularly the hummus with peanut butter, the bake quinoa, the raw broc salad, the coconut dessert... yes, everything :P

sewnut said...

There can never be too much about good food. Reading this post made me hungry. I remembered that we had a nice hummus and fresh tortilla chips so I asked Peter if he wanted some. He reminded me that I had s'mores tonight already.

You can get someone in trouble with all those tasty images and notes.

Roslyn said...

You are a trooper Heather that was some challenge. I am going to try the sweet potato hummus I have lots of yams, & a glut of red peppers too so your recipe references came in the nick of time! I wonder if you can freeze hummus......?!

Perogyo said...

Those look great! I usually hate western recipes because I get cravings but then can't get the ingredients. But I can totally make the Humminbird cake and Sweet Potato Hummus! Thanks!

TheBookGirl said...

What a wealth of great recipes :)
This vegetarian who looks for gluten-free recipes is most appreciative!
Your food stats are impressive; I am surprised at the hummus winner -- for me, I think the sweet potato would be first choice.

Kate said...

Oh, YUM. I stopped reading at the cilantro and lime hummous, though, because I have to ask: Can this be made without a food processor or blender? I would love to make this but have no blending-type equipment!

Beth F said...

Wow!!!! I can't believe how hard you worked! That cilantro hummus and the hummingbird cake both look amazing! Well and the broccoli and the quinoa and ..... Yum.

Uniflame said...

Thanks for sharing so many recipes. I love sweet potato, so I will be trying that one first! Will be bookmarking this :)

Margot said...

I really like you hummus challenge. If you don't mind, I'm going to try that on my family the next time we are together.

Vicki said...

Everything looks and sounds so good! I've never tried quinoa, but my hubby loves sweet potatoes and almonds so I'll make the Baked Quinoa with Sweet Potatoes and Almonds. I think I'll also try the Broccoli Salad and Sweet Potato Hummus.

Thanks for all the recipes!
Here's Mine

Anonymous said...

So many lovely recipes! You must have worked really hard preparing all that.

I'm especially interested in the hummus recipes. I just love hummus! I bookmarked your post, hope to make the hummus soon. Maybe for my next book group meeting, Friday.

Joy Weese Moll said...

Love the hummus comparison tests! Cilantro lime sounds wonderful and I've never heard of it.