Tuesday 18 September 2012

Needlework Tuesday - Grab Bag


Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post. Feel free to grab the cute little mouse for your post.
 I am quite excited with how this version of the Wave Goodbye Tote turned out.  Instead of using assorted 2 1/2 inches strips like last time, I used a large scale print with lots of space between motifs.  I carefully kept the strips in order and you can clearly see the overall print.  After this is exhibited in my guild quilt show in October, I will be giving it to a dear friend who happens to love sunflowers.

You can view the image of my first tote here.
Tutorial for the Wave Goodbye Tote








A few months ago I joined "In the Bag" and ugly fabric swap.  I thought I had till the end of October to piece and submit my project.  oops, due the end of September.  I had already decided that I would be using a design by Judy Martin, but I hadn't started at all.  This first photo shows the fabrics that my partner sent.  Florals, which are a challenge for me at the best of times, and some very cool snails.  After much cursing and nashing of teeth, I managed to put my design in EQ6 and play with colours.  Then it was cutting time.


 

 
I am far from finished, but after two days of stitching, the centre panel is completed.  I have used 3 of the 4 required fabrics.  This section meaures 24 inches square.  I will be adding a border of 12inch squares of two different designs. 
 
I am still knitting away on my afghan.  Ball eleven.  One more to go.
 
One update to my afghan show last week.  In the spring, my fencing coach mentioned that she had tried crocheting a blankie, but stopped as it wasn't working.  I gave her some alternate patterns and encouraged her to try again.  Fast forward 3 months.  I popped into the gym last week and she told me that she had great success with one of the patterns.  In fact, she had just finished her third baby blanket.  Two of them already delivered and the third waiting for the baby.  She kindly sent me a few photos.
 

 
 
I continue to work on several projects, including a pair of socks for hubby, don't know how much I will get finished as my father is very ill.  His cancer treatments are no longer working. Due to the toxicity of the treatments, his kidneys are in failure.  Prayers for him would be most appreciated.


4 comments:

Lady Penguin said...

My prayers go out to your father and you and your family.

I am always in awe of your quilting. My sister is a quilter and I am just mesmerized by all that is out there and how you are able to put the most random fabrics together and make something unbelievably gorgeous.

Marie said...

I'm praying and sending good thoughts for your father as well as you and your family.

Great work as always. I love that tote bag!

Cheryl Coville said...

I'm sending my very best wishes. So sorry about your dad.

Chinoiseries said...

Oh Heather, I am at a loss for words :-( Sending you prayers and positive thoughts. I sincerely hope that his suffering will be limited. Cancer is so, so awful...

I see that you posted this about a week ago. How is he doing? How are you and your family coping?