Saturday 8 September 2012

Weekend Cooking - Chocolate is for Dessert

 
 
Chocolate for dessert always works well for me.  It was no different at the ENDURrun races this summer.  My neighbour Julie made at least two amazing addictive dishes.  I was asked several times if I could provide the recipes, and she was kind enough to agree.
 
 
Almond Crisps
(pictured above)
  • Line a greased cookie sheet with salted soda crackers.
  • bring to a boil: 1 cup (½ lb) butter and  1 cup sugar (white or brown). stir until well mixed.
  •  
  • pour butter mixture over crackers. Spread evenly.
  • Bake in 350° oven for approximately 15 minutes. Watch it closely to prevent burning.                
  • Remove from oven and spread a package of milk chocolate chips over the top. Spread evenly
  •  
  • Top with flaked almonds (optional). Place in freezer for at least 3 hours.
  • Twist pan until loose. Break into small pieces.
 
~ and…. ENJOY!!
 
Peanut Butter Squares
  • ½ cup margarine or butter
  • ½ cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1 ¼ cups icing sugar
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 ½ cup chocolate chips
Melt butter and peanut butter together in a small pot, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Add icing sugar and graham cracker crumbs.  Grease 9”x9” pan.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips.  Heat in 200º oven for 5 minutes to soften chocolate. Spread chocolate evenly over the top.  Cool in fridge.
After about ½ hour in the fridge, cut into squares, then place back in fridge to harden.  This prevents the squares from breaking when you try to cut them when they’re cold.
 
Candy Bar Dessert
 
Base
4 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
1 cup butter, melted
 
Mix together and press into 13x9 inch pan. Chill.
 
Filling
8 oz cream cheese softened
1/4 cup sugar
4 cups thawed cool whip (1 litre)
10-12 crushed candy bars (skor, crispy crunch)
3 cups cold milk
2 packages chocolate jello instant pudding
 
Mix cream cheese and sugar.  Gently stir in 1/2 of the cool whip.  Spread evenly over crust. 
Sprinkle candy bar pieces over cream cheese layer.  Let sit. 
Pour milk into bowl, add pudding.  Beat together as instructed on the package.
Pour over chopped candy bar layer.  Sit until thickened.
Spread remaining cool whip over pudding.  Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm  Garnish with additional chopped candy bars.
 
Additional recipes from the ENDURrun are found at this link (lots of hummus varieties).



For more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking Post.  Beth invites you to add a link to your recent food related post.


12 comments:

Beth F said...

Yummmmmm!!!!! Those cracker candies are a big hit at Passover, made with matzoh of course.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

These recipes are a chocolate lover's dream. Thanks for sharing, I'm bookmarking them right now.

Cecelia said...

Oh wow, all of these recipes look delicious (and, as you said... addictive!). Thanks for sharing. I love almonds, so I think I'll try that one first. YUM.

Joy said...

Those all sound amazing, but I'd be all over the Peanut Butter Squares -- yum!

I posted my recipe for homemade frozen yogurt today 'cuz you asked!

Peggy Ann said...

Thanks! They all sound so good.

Cheryl Coville said...

Oh, my gosh. I don't dare make these. I'd eat them all. In one sitting.

Carole said...

All these look great. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

You are putting holiday baking in mind, one of my favorite times of the cooking year. Or my college kiddo would probably like a care package at any time. The almond crisps could add some variety to my usual cookie basket.

Anonymous said...

You are putting holiday baking in mind, one of my favorite times of the cooking year. Or my college kiddo would probably like a care package at any time. The almond crisps could add some variety to my usual cookie basket.

Chinoiseries said...

So tempting, Heather! Delicious :) My sister just gave me a bunch of chocolate bars from Germany, otherwise I'd go and bake some of these now!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Yumyyyyy. As a chocoholic these sound delicious. Not to sure we can get cool whip here in England though as its not an ingredient I know of.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I'm in luck. have just googled cool whip and though it isn't a brand we have here we do of course have similar.