Tuesday 30 October 2012

Needlework Tuesday - London Friendship Quilt Guild show 2012


Needlework Tuesday is a fun time to share what I have been stitching over the past week.  Readers are invited to leave a comment with a link to their current stitching post.  I love to see what you have been up to.

My "In the Bag Challenge" is all put together and ready for quilting.  I realized that there wasn't enough dark brown in the centre block.  Rather than re-piece, I found a perfect piece of rick rack, opened the seams and added it onto the section.  Definitely a good choice.  Since the rules stated that I had to use almost all of the challenge fabrics, I pieced my back.  Measures 48 inches square.
 



 
A mis-cut on the front left me with a bunch of 2 inch by 6 1/2 inch strips, which was the impetus for making rail fence blocks.  I had several metres of the wild border fabric which just happened to co-ordinate with the rest.  On Thursday I'm going on a shop hop and will purchase batting.
 

 Last weekend as the quilt show for the London Friendship Quilters Guild, of which my mother and I are members. Click on the guild name and it will take you to their web page where you can follow a further link to view some of the quilts that were exhibited during the show.
 
 

Two highlights from the show, were  from the Longwoods Barn Quilt Trail and quilts.  The quilt shown to the left is the "Native Women's Trail of Tears". It is a full size quilt and it is gorgeous.  Sorry my photo isn't better.  I really do need to carry a tripod.  There is a second quilt, but my photo didn't turn out.  That quilt is the "Longwoods Quilt".  Below are the labels from the quilts.  To read more about these quilts and the barn quilt tour, visit the website, Longwoods Bar Quilt Trails.




One project that the guild is very active in, is making comfort quilts for children.  These are distributed to local agencies and are very well received.



My mother pieced the stars with dark sashing in the upper right.  It was then quilted and bound by another member.


The guild members also completed several Quilts of Valour.  For additional information about this program, visit the Quilts of Valour Canada website.

 
 
I am making good progress on hubby's socks  I have turned the heel on the second sock and the end is almost in sight.  Pictures next week.

No comments: