Thursday 25 October 2012

Needlework Tuesday - Rather off Schedual


Hmm, something happened to my week, or rather, something happened to the past two months.  They seem to have evaporated.  I have been doing a bit of stitching in my absence, but not as much as usual. I have a bit to share. 

I did finish that lovely cabled afghan I was kitting.  It was intended for my father, but it wasn't finished in time.  I have given it to my brother instead.  Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo.  Will try and get one shortly.


A few months ago I showed you these four fabrics that I received in an 'Ugly' swap and I was to use them all in a project.


at the beginning of September, I showed you the centre block.  Measures 24 inches square.  Then I stopped working on it while my father was so ill.  After he passed away I got back to it.  For me, stitching is a good coping strategy.
 
Four corner blocks.

Eight border blocks.
 

They aren't sewn together here, but this is the quilt layout.  48 inches square.  Lots of matching points to pin, so it is taking me longer to sew together than it usually would.  But it is definitely worth the little extra work.
 
Pattern is from Judy Martin's book: Knockout Blocks and Sampler Quilts, and the quilt is titled: Free Spirit Medley.
 

On Tuesday, I was searching my sewing areas for my books with quilting design ides.  Couldn't find them anywhere, however, I did come across this forgotten box of Sweet Georgia Browns from Purdy's.  I had not tried them before my sister brought me a box from Calgary.  She was coming to visit with dad, but brought several boxes of these.  They sure are good.
 


Monday night at my local guild, we did a workshop on Japanese folded circle quilts.  We started with 13 inches circles of fabric and batting.  Two hours later, this is what we had.  Time to take it home for some pressing and quilting.

Quilting around the edges, but it still needs more.


After much doodling, I came up with a snowflake design that filled in the open spaces.  It was a bit ruffled, but a steaming and pressing forced it to lay flat.  Now to clear off an end table so I can put it to use.
 
 
If you are interested in similar techniques, you should check this book: Japanese Folded Patchwork.  I bought this several years ago and have yet to make any of the projects.  Interesting techniques, oh to have all the free time in the world.

I do have a new project on my knitting needles and hope to have a photo update for you next week.

No comments: