Tuesday 4 December 2012

Needlework Tuesday - Contest


Welcome to another issue of Needlework Tuesday, where I share updates of my past week of needlework projects.  My readers are invited to join in the fun, create a post of their current needlework projects and add the cute little mouse.  Leave a comment with your link. I'd love to visit and see what you're up to.


It doesn't look like much yet, but it's a cuddly for one of my nieces.  Bernat Baby Jacquards Florals Monster Toy.  Simple knitting so far, though I did have an incident yesterday.  I was working on another project and tugged on the end of my measuring tape and next thing I know, I heard some pinging and sensed something flying through the air.  Now I can't locate the fourth needle from the set I need for this project.  hmm, it can't have gone too far, can it?  I have also bought a ball of mauve for my other niece.  can't give a gift to one sister and not the other.


In the summer, I bought two very large balls of worsted weight cotton.  One I gave to my sister, the other I kept with the intention of making her something, as I suspect it will be ages before she gets around to using hers.  For the past two weeks I have been stitching with it.  First up were two leaf shaped facecloths.  Link for that pattern is in last week's post. Next up were two dishes/bowls.  The basic pattern is by Barb,  I played around and came up with the pointy lid, sorry, no pattern for that.  As I wandered the net, I came across the Origami hot pads.  Very neat idea, they are double thick and can be made in any size, including as pillow covers.  Finally, the little flower is a Floral Face Scrubbie.  Have yet to check with daughter to decide if this is worth making more. It is a free pattern on Ravelry, designed by Melinda Miller. ,
 


Been wanting to make these for a while.  Finally bought the right colour of cotton.  What are they, apple cosys of course.  The one on the left was hooked with a 5mm hook and houses a real apple, the smaller one on the right was hooked with a 4mm hook and holds a plastic plum.  Pattern is from Michaels and Bernat.  I did change the pattern a bit.  When I changed to green, I completed the row with double crochets instead of singles.  This made for more room to thread in the leaf tie.  When making the tie, I made it in one piece instead of doing a leaf and crochet chain together, and then adding a separately made leaf.  I thought it would be stronger so a child wouldn't accidentally pull off the added leaf.  The double crochets left room to thread the leaf.  There is also a knitting pattern , but I haven't had a chance to give it a try.


I'm also working on a mystery quilt with my local guild.  It is from Border Creek Station.  This is my first mystery with them.  Shown are the pieces I was left with at the end of step two.


Finally, the contest.  While my mom was here, I mentioned that we sewed a bunch of gift bags.  Shown are three of the fabrics we used.  Two are twill and the third is a heavy cotton.  I'm not showing the top of the bags as I still have to purchase ribbon for the drawstrings.  
To be entered to win, leave a comment telling me about your gift wrapping traditions. Be sure to include your email, if I can't contact you, you can't win. 
 
 Is gift wrapping a big deal, or does anything go including the newspaper.  Do you use eco friendly wraps or ribbons and bows, the whole nine yards.  I'm of the re-usable bag group and have been for at least 20 years.  A bit of paper ends up under the tree but not that much.
 
Contest is open internationally.  Number of winners will depend on how many entry  comments are received.  You don't have to be a follower to win , but if you are and you are the winner, you will receive  a bonus gift along with your bag..  First name drawn will get the choice of which bag.  One bag per winner.  Measures approx 11 x 14 inches.  Contest closes when the next Needlework Tuesday post goes live.
 
Marie at Daisy's Book Journal has been working on a unique afghan.  She has her first photo this week.

7 comments:

Linda said...

I love all your knitting/crocheting projects. The apple cozy is so cute. How nice of you to share your gift bags. I have been using fabric bags for some time now. I do use paper sometimes. Not much. I cant resist wrapping paper with snowmen on it. I have a very small Christmas gift list so I dont have too many gifts to wrap or bag.

Roslyn said...

My Mum was always knitting/crocheting cotton cloths etc for us, I miss her for more than this reason but some of her works remain as yet NOT worn too thin!

Roslyn said...

As for gift wrapping it isn't my favorite thing & in years past I have assigned DH to that chore, unimaginative but sturdy results!
A few times I have gone all the way & used gold & silver papers, tulle & fancy ribbon for gorgeous results.
These days it's usually practical wrapping, I like bags they cover a multitude of sins,LOL.
I have used fabric bags esp. for my quilter friends, it's also a good stash buster.

Debbie said...

Love all those matching projects, Heather! I've been doing some knitting and crocheting, too. No quilting though, because my studio is in too much of a mess and I just can't get myself in the right frame of mind. Also can't find anything!

Colleen said...

Hi Heather. This isn't a contest entry - I have tagged your blog. You can find the details here: http://colleenquiltstoo.blogspot.ca/2012/12/tag-im-it.html You don't have to pass it on, but you might find it fun.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

What an amazing giveaway and so personal given that you have made it yourself.

Our gift wrapping tradition? We leave our wrapping until Christmas Eve when presents, paper, ribbons etc gathered we sit at the dining room table, Husband dearest wrapping the gifts whilst my duties are cutting the sticky tape and writing the labels which we hand make every year.

A follower of your blog. Good luck to everyone who enters your giveaway.

Heather said...

Contest is now closed. Winners to be announced shortly.