Saturday 8 December 2012

Weekend Cooking - Spiral Cutter

Contest notice: I currently have a contest posted in my recent Needlework Tuesday post, visit this post and leave a comment there to enter.  then come back and finish reading this post.
 
Over  the past few weeks, I have been testing recipes from a new cookbook.  It involves a number of new-to-me techniques, one of which required the purchase of a new kitchen tool.  The Spiral Cutter.  I bought an inexpensive version from kitchenbasics.  I checked all sorts of specialty stores and kitchen suppliers, and finally found one at a shop at my local farmers market, Kitchen Help.   For a tiny shop, their shelves are jam packed with all sorts of wonderful tools and appliances for the kitchen.  They are definitely going to be my new go-to shop for unique tools.


So what can I do with my new spiral cutter.  For the most part, it has two cutting styles that appeal to me.  One, I can cut long, very thin vegetable spirals.  The carrot on the left of the plate is wafer thin. Would make a  great edible garnish. Children will gladly eat their veggies when cut like this.  With the simple flip of a lever, it turns those spirals into long skinny strips.  I tried carrots, parsnips and zucchini and all cut very well.  Some of the zucchini strips were over two feet long.  I am planning on trying beets and whatever other firm vegetable I can find.   I next marinated these spiral cut vegetables in a dressing of olive oil and red wine vinegar with a dash of salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Very tasty and fresh.
 
I am looking forward to using this tool to help with the preparation of several of the recipes from my new book.  This would be a great addition to a vegetarian or raw foodie's kitchen.  Also for gluten free kitchens, you could make alternates to traditional flour paste, substituting long strands of zucchini.
 
 
 
Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.  You are invited to add a link to your recent food related post and to enjoy the dozens of foodie posts each weekend.

11 comments:

Joy said...

That's a new tool to me. It looks like a fun way to be creative with vegetables!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

My sister-in-law would love this gadget; thanks for the idea.

Beth F said...

This looks like fun! I'd love to make zucchini spirals to use instead of regular pasta. And I agree, pickles and garnishes come to mind.

Carole said...

Looks great. Have a super weekend.

Unknown said...

What a fun gadget. I've seen many recipes with vegetable "spaghetti" made by using this kind of tool.

Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate said...

I have never used a spiral cutter but it looks like it could save a lot of time while also helping create lovely looking dishes. Thanks for sharing!
Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

Cecelia said...

I love the sound of the salad you made - sometimes all it takes is repackaging a food you already know to make something wonderful!

Tina said...

Oh...now I want that kitchen gadget more than anything! I have never seen one before. Very cool!

Carol said...

It's a fun gadget! Looks like you'll get a lot of use from it.

Angela said...

Oh how fun!

Anonymous said...

my mum had a mounlieux metal grater shredder years ago this looks useful she used it all the time ,all the best stu