Tuesday 25 November 2014

Needlework Tuesday - my first quilt presentation

I was a little jittery, but I made it through the presentation at my local quilt guild last evening.  I had two suitcases full of quilts to share. Three of them hot off my sewing machine.  Last week  I promised you an update of what has been keeping me from my blog.  here goes:

 Earlier in the year, I took a class with a friend and we made bargello quilts.  I finally have finished assembly and adding borders. Next is to decide how to quilt and select backing fabric.  This will make a good size lap quilt.  Pattern "I used to be a Layer Cake" from Black Cat Creations by Nancy Altsman.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.
One can never have too many lap quilts.  This pattern is from Judy Martins Knockout Blocks and Sampler Quilts,  "Free Spirit Medley".  This is the result of joining a challenge in which another participant sent me 4 fabrics that I had to use together. the light green, the beige, the dark green with the snails and one of the blues. I was allowed to add as much other fabrics as I wanted as long as I used 90% of the sent fabrics.
close up of the quilting, which i used a variegated green thread.

 From a swap with friends. Snowball and 9 patch blocks in a none traditional setting.  I named this quilt "A Snowball in Vegas".  I quilted it with a beige variegated thread.


the back of the quilt shows why i chose that name.  Also features signature blocks from the swap participants.

 Early in 2000, I traded for far too many 9 inch  9 patch blocks.  At this point in time, I really don't want to make a 9 patch quilt.  Instead, I am remaking the blocks using a disappearing 9 patch x 2 technique.  For excellent instructions visit Susan at the blog Life on the Bayou. I've included a little photo story of my progress starting with 4 9 patch blocks.
simple cutting the block into 4

add some new fabrics to make a new 9 patch

cut this new block apart just like you did the first time.

re-arrange the pieces and sew the block back together again

4 disappearing 9 patch x 2 blocks sewn together.



I am quite happy with how these blocks turned out and will be using this technique again in the future.

I still have oodles more 9 patch blocks to deal with and will share my progress in upcoming posts.

Mister Linky is waiting below to share what you've been stitching.

7 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Beautiful! Love them all, but really like the second one. Have a great day!!

Sherrie
Food for Thought

Marie said...

OMG, Heather. Awesome work! I just love, love, love the first one. I laughed when I saw "A Snowball in Vegas". Those desert colours are perfect! ;)

And, as always, your disappearing 9 patch work continues to astound and delight me. One day I hope to try this technique.

Have a great week.

Roslyn said...

Trying to link up but once again linky won't take my pic.
Glad your presentation went well, nice quilt show.

Lin said...

Congratulations on doing your presentation. I love the bargello quilt and the lap quilt is gorgeous! Such stunning colours. xx

Felicity Grace Terry said...

As always I'm awed by your amazing craft work. So beautiful and perfect given how cold it has become.

Cheryl said...

I just love the dogs playing poker. What a great fabric find. Love the way you used it.

The little book of Nessie said...

Well done. It is always great seeing your craft. Lovely quits. Regards, Nessie