Tuesday 22 March 2016

Needlework Tuesday - Stripes and Jelly Rolls

Have you seen the new Strip-R fabrics from Northcott.  They give the impression of pieced stripes but it's printed that way.  Each pattern stripe is 2 inches, so it does away with sewing all those jelly roll cuts together.

Top of the photo shows the right side and the bottom of the photo shows the reverse.  This colourway is from the Porcelain Blue fabric line

I also purchased a piece of the Stonehenge Gradations which is printed in the same manner.

Yesterday, I got together with several friends from my local bee and we worked on quilts using the Strip-R fabric.  We used the pattern Strip Ts from Wanda's Designs.  It is quite easy to make as long as I keep my strips facing the same way so they all line up in the end. 
This is the jelly roll project.  It is made from an assortment of left overs from other projects that my bee had worked on.  I am making this simple to piece block.  Take all the 2 1/2 inch width strips of any length, sew them together across the short ends.  Cut to 12 1/2 inch lengths and sew six of them together to make a block.  I have sorted into several loose colour groups.  Still have reds, blues and blacks to piece, then I'll see what I can do with them.  This quilt will be donated to charity. not sure which one.
I've started my second pair of socks for the Craftsy class.  This pair is knit to up, which I have been wanting to try.  I am using two balls of Heart and Sole from Red Heart in colour Mellow Stripe.  These are for daughter.

I thought we were in for early spring weather.  It was warm for the past two weeks, and now we are back to winter with hail, snow and that snow that is the round, hard little pellets that seem to chase me down the street when I am walking.  of course, my bulbs are several inches out of the ground and teasing me.  While Mother Nature figures her self out, I'll alternate walking, knitting and quilting.  That will keep me happy and busy.


Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Mister Linky is waiting below.

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love the stripe blocks your working on. The colors are so bright. Also like the sock yarn, it's pretty. Have a great day!

Roslyn said...

As I say in my blog post today I never even knew this piano key border fabric existed and likely it would not come in my chosen color scheme so I would be making my own anyway and it does use up more fabric making less scraps left over!
Love the socks!

Kate said...

I am glad you are enjoying the sock knitting. I had an accident today and came home with 3 balls of sdock yarn!